Pain during treatment

• 6 replies
  • 100 subscribers

Hi All

I'm new to the forum. I have rectal cancer 2 lymph nodes possibly affected but luckily no spread. Ever since radiochemo started 5 weeks of treatment ended last week. I have experienced a moderate throbbing pain internal under coccyx. Just.wondering if anyone else experienced similar during treatment. Thanks

• Hi ,

yes during my radiotherapy I had terrible pain that was almost like I needed to ‘go’ but obviously didn’t . It was very painful but didn’t last long (I can’t remember how long ) but it was almost like I couldn’t sit down ! 

not so much pain in my bottom from the chemo but I did have pain and couldn’t sit comfortably after bowel resection . 

hope this helps 

Jim 

• Thanks for replying. I have not had any operation yet that's further down the line. The constant pain is getting me down only started week 2 of 5 week treatment plan. It does feel like a need to "go" but that's not the case. Hopefully it will ease soon 

• Hi, I had 5 days of radiotherapy in January and the pain started after a week. I mentioned it to the radiology team and they gave me gels to cool the area externally and suggested pain relief too. 

AlbaH

• Thanks for the reply they gave me the instagel too. It's putting my mind at rest hearing other people experienced similar effects. I have codiene for pain relief but that has an un wanted side effect so don't like to take it too often.

• AddyS,

I didn't experience pain as such, more of a soreness from time to time which I gather was radiation burn to the skin and underlying tissue. It lasted for many months even after surgery and I applied E45 cream to the affected area as required, which worked well. Presumably the tumour was being attacked to reduce it to an acceptable size for surgery, so the feeling was worthwhile.

Dulac

• Hi yes I have the burn too external and underlying tissue. I had a follow up call from Christie's today and they assure me these side effects are quite normal after treatment. I agree if it's reducing the tumor it's worthwhile but have to say I'm struggling with the internal pain. I'm sure in time it will ease.