Pain in calf’s after oxaliplatin

• 18 replies
  • 89 subscribers

Good morning,

I had my oxaliplatin infusion on Friday morning, since Friday evening I have had pain in the muscle of both calf’s. It’s worse when I walk downstairs. I have spoken with the oncology  hotline and they told me to keep an eye on it for a few day and drink plenty to stay well hydrated. They will take bloods in a few days to look for a mineral in balance if things don’t improve. 

Is this a normal symptom? when should I expect it to start improving.

Hope everyone is well and coping.

Rachael x

• Hello Rachael,

I had the exact same thing after my 4th infusion of oxaliplatin, it didn't happen on the first three.

The helpline nurse suggested I drink some isotonic drinks as it may be a mineral imbalance. I found lucozade sport zero sugar and that helped. It probably took about a week before the pain completely went. It wasn't suggested that I have a blood test to check anything, so I will ask at my next appointment about that.

Hope that helps.

Jayne x

• Hi Jayne,

Thank you for your quick reply. This is only my second infusion but I’ve already developed a phosphate deficiency which is being treated. I’ll get some lucozade sport as you suggested and see if it helps. 

I hope you are coping well with treatment and don’t have too many other side effects.

Rachael x

• Hi Rachael,

Good luck for your ongoing treatment.

I have been working my way through the list of side effects. But luckily up to now the nurses have always come up with a remedy for me.  Four cycles down, four to go!

Take care,

Jayne x

• Hi! I've just had the same as well. Assumed I overdid it a Zumba a few days ago. Also had a cramp on one of my calf. I've tried to stay hydrated but it as been difficult as I am fasting for 72h, starting 24h prior to chemo. I might try O.R.S hydration tablets.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Take care,

Cecile x

• My mum had that . Almost like a cramp . She used tonic water due to the quinine.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• I hope you don’t mind me asking but why do you fast prior to starting chemo? 

I went for a walk earlier and it seems to have eased a little this afternoon.

Rachael x

• I’ll try some tonic water too, thank you. I’ve also ordered some acti-vit drinks to see if they help incase it is a mineral issue. 

Rachael x

• Hi  ,

I'm on my 3rd course of chemo, just got my 26th pump disconnected today. This is palliative treatment and it is now clear that chemo on its own is not going to help much. There are growing evidence that fasting can weaken cancer cells, which need a lot of nutrients to thrive as they are multiplying fast, and fasting increase the effectiveness of chemotherapy (see https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33153820/); some clinical trials are ongoing. I have drastically changed my diet, cut out all sugar and animal fat, processed meat so mostly pescatarian and non dairy. I've reached a stage where I need to throw everything at it and I am also taking low-dose aspirin, turmeric, currently looking at berberine, some off-label drugs, but I check in with my onco before adding anything and so far he is OK. Also seeing a nutritionist to ensure I get enough energy from the right sources. 

Take care

Cecile

• I'm glad you posted this Rachael, I had my second infusion 2 weeks ago and had the same (didn't have this on my first infusion). I found mine was worse when I sat for long periods so I used my standing desk at work and standing for most of the day seemed to help in the evenings. Mine took about a week to go as well. 

• Glad I’m not alone and your pain has also eased. 

I’m going to ask my oncologist about it next week. The stairs were definitely the worst, it felt like I had pulled muscles. 

fingers crossed it doesn’t come back next round.