Rectal cancer watch and wait

• 41 replies
  • 91 subscribers

Hi all,

See my profile for my watch and wait journey so far after rectal cancer diagnosis in November 2018 and a clinically complete response to radiotherapy in January 2019 and since then I have been in remission. 

I am recording my journey on watch and wait as I go through milestones hoping that this is helpful to others considering watch and wait or perhaps earlier on in the journey.

About 6 months ago I had an equivocal MRI, i.e. they were not quite sure whether there was cancer there or not, so they ordered another one earlier than usual and I had this yesterday and the CEA blood test too.

I just got the CEA result and it was normal and completely unchanged from 6 months ago which is great!

I should get the MRI result in about a week and will post the result on here when I get it. However I am very hopeful now that this will be clear. 

However we all know that cancer is tricky and unpredictable so I don't know for sure until I get the actual MRI result.

Wish me luck!

Jogey

• Hi Emcee,

Great to hear about your husband's wonderful result. I was assessed for a brachytherapy boost by Professor Myint of Clatterbridge Hospital in Liverpool ( a very good Doctor) , but he decided it wasn't necessary.

I think it is a fascinating treatment and I had a friend who managed to avoid surgery and a stoma for a low rectal cancer by having brachytherapy.

Please pass on to your husband how pleased I am to hear about this excellent outcome and that I really do find it encouraging for myself.

I have one more surveillance to go in February next year to hit the five year mark.

Very best wishes

• Thanks so much Kareno62 and you have a great weekend too

• Such lovely news  . It’s just wonderful to see how your team have managed your case .

Have a wonderful weekend away and enjoy every minute of this . You have definitely earned it .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi Court,

I've been at two different NHS hospitals for watch and wait.

People knock the NHS, and I do acknowledge that there are many problems and challenges and mistakes are made,  but I've had wonderful treatment from both bowel cancer teams and I think the NHS does a lot of great work and saves a lot of lives including my own. I feel really really fortunate we have it in the UK.

You have a great weekend too.

• Hi Jogey. Hope you don’t mind me asking what made you decide to watch and wait.  I am currently at the stage of having to decide between watch and wait or ELAPE operation.

many thanksn

• Hi Cornishluc,

I was advised by one of the surgeons at my hospital at the time that a watch and wait strategy was not more risky than having surgery.

(Obviously I cannot in any way be sure that he was correct, but that is what he told me) .

I also did my own reading e.g. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(18)31078-X/fulltext .

But I think the key thing was the advice from my surgeon. After hearing this advice, I just felt that it was worth trying for the tremendous benefits of watch and wait, i.e. the possibility of avoiding major surgery and the associated symptoms as well as the possibility of avoiding a stoma. 

Obviously this was all almost five years ago and much research will have been done since so perhaps medical views have changed. Also his advice was specific to my situation (stage, location etc) .

Hope this helps and all best wishes whatever you decide,

Take care,

Jogey

• Hi Jogey, that's great news, absolutely fantastic. I had my robot assisted partial nephrectomy on Tuesday, feel like I've been hit by a train! Actually doing very well though, home on Thursday evening and off any pain meds just paracetamol. Been outside for some short walks. Surgeon was very pleased with the outcome. 

Pesky polyp biopsies came back again high and low grade dysplasia but no invasive disease. My surgeon was happy for me to have the renal surgery first and I'm booked in for a consultation about the pesky polyp on 06/12 I think it will be a discussion about the TEMS proceedure. So all in all things are looking ok. At this stage in my recovery from surgery I couldn't careless about the polyp! The perfect distraction. All the very best. Gosh! 

• Hi Gosh,

So pleased that your surgeon is very  pleased with the outcome! That's really great to hear.

Sorry about the feeling like a train hit you thing, but it sounds like you are handling it really well.

Hope you continue to recover well and good luck with the consultation in December too.

Best wishes,

Jogey

• hello Emcee,

I have been through the chemoradiation over 5 weeks (finished end October) and have just had MRI/CT and sigmoidoscopy done some 8 weeks later.  My tumour in the lower rectum has reduced from just under 3cm to 4-5mm and my scans have been reviewed at Clatterbridge and am awaiting appointment for treatment by Papillon.  Your post has given me renewed hope.  Thankyou.

• Hi Powder,

Would you mind sharing how you got on with your treatment at Clatterbridge?

Thanks x