Rectal cancer watch and wait

• 41 replies
  • 92 subscribers

Hi all,

See my profile for my watch and wait journey so far after rectal cancer diagnosis in November 2018 and a clinically complete response to radiotherapy in January 2019 and since then I have been in remission. 

I am recording my journey on watch and wait as I go through milestones hoping that this is helpful to others considering watch and wait or perhaps earlier on in the journey.

About 6 months ago I had an equivocal MRI, i.e. they were not quite sure whether there was cancer there or not, so they ordered another one earlier than usual and I had this yesterday and the CEA blood test too.

I just got the CEA result and it was normal and completely unchanged from 6 months ago which is great!

I should get the MRI result in about a week and will post the result on here when I get it. However I am very hopeful now that this will be clear. 

However we all know that cancer is tricky and unpredictable so I don't know for sure until I get the actual MRI result.

Wish me luck!

Jogey

• Hi Court,

Thanks so much and I absolutely agree that much of this is outside each individual's control. I have been very lucky no question.

Take care,

Jonathan

• Ok so after being given the all clear at the last surveillance, I have now been getting more frequent blood on toilet paper and on stool. than previously I have had this happen before and it turned out to be haemorrhoids but as I say it has been more frequent lately.

I reported this to my colorectal nurse and she said she has booked me in for a sigmoidoscopy as a precaution. All part of the watch and wait experience. I will keep calm and carry on and hopefully all will be well.
  • Hi Jogey, 

Thank you for updating us with your journey. Wishing you all the best with your upcoming sigmoidoscopy. I still have the pesky polyp, last sigmoidoscopy failed again to remove it, so more biopsies taken and if they are still benign, currently showing high and low dysplasia I will have a TEMS proceedure. Still have to have a partial nephrectomy so I'm not out of the woods yet, but like you staying positive. All the best

• That’s the thing about piles  . Such an annoying habit of popping back up !!!

Hope that’s all it is and you can slip back safely into your normal schedule.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Great to hear from you Gosh and best of luck to you too with the pesky polyp and the partial nephrectomy. 

Really wishing you a successful outcome for both treatments.  Take care.

• Thanks so much Court. Stuff like this is to be expected as a watch and wait patient and my policy is to assume it will be OK unless they tell me otherwise.. I hope you are keeping really well yourself.

• Thank Jogey, keep in touch. I've really appreciated your tips re Dr Fuch and care Oncology. Wishing you a positive outcome x 

• Hi Jogey, just wanted to pass on my best wishes to you as you continue your journey on W&W.My husband's journey almost mirrors yours, diagnosed stage 3, n2 emvi + in Nov.2018. Chemoradiaton with capcetibine and 3 sessions of bracytherapy had amazing result, and yesterday after 5years of Mri and sigmoidoscopy he was discharged, no sign of any return. I hope this gives encouragement to you and anyone else on this journey. Best wishes.

• So I had this sigmoidoscopy today and it was completely clear!. It was the haemorrhoids causing the bleeding and this bleeding was visible on the sigmoidoscopy. 

Very pleasingly, my surgeon told me there is not even a scar showing at the original tumour site nor any signs of radiotherapy scars. Apart from the haemorrhoids, the inside of the bowel looks completely healthy. 
    Now four years and 9 months clear since radiotherapy. One more round of surveillance at the five year mark and if that is clear they discharge me. However I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
    I'm flying down to London with my wonderful wife to celebrate on the weekend with friends.
    Very best wishes to all of you.
  • Fantastic news  Enjoy the weekend x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm