Colonoscopy -v- Colonography, which is best and why ?

• 5 replies
  • 99 subscribers

I do not claim to be a medical expert but ---

Having recently undergone a Colonoscopy with very limited result - due to a thickening of the bowel from an earlier (9 yrs ago) op - and therefore resulting in failure to reach the whole bowel;  I have now been sent for an Colonography which I understand to be far less invasive, with a marginally easier prep period and with results at least as good as a Colonoscopy.- (so I understand ? )

The fact is that the thickened bowel  (on my records) was apparently not seen as a drawback to having a Colonoscopy-  was this because that was a cheaper option than a Colonography and therefore the "go to" option;  or simply a question of failing to understand the potential implications ? Whichever, it proved to be better than I expected, until the obstruction was seen - when it became very uncomfortable and largely a waste of time both for the  Hospital team and me.

This experience has made me realise that, if I had understood the Colonoscopy process better, I could have said at the time that I would prefer a Colonography as being potentially less invasive and equally (?) effective.;

The moral here is , perhaps, don't be afraid to ask about other options before taking the first answer as gospel !

• Hi xbargee.

Just wondering if you had seen the NHS page about the 2 processes:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/bowel-cancer/diagnosis/

Article ends with:

"A CT colonography can help identify potentially cancerous areas in people who cannot have a colonoscopy because of other medical reasons.

It’s less invasive than a colonoscopy, but you may still need to have colonoscopy or flexible sigmoidoscopy at a later stage so any abnormal areas can be removed or biopsied."

• Hi

I had both procedures within a few weeks. I asked for a CT Colonography, because I was initially petrified at the idea of a Colonoscopy; & yes, of the two, it was far less invasive than the latter. However, during the CT Scan, a rectal tube is inserted, which is gradually pumped with air (which is needed to inflate the Colon.) Unfortunately, this was not possible to do sufficiently - owing to an undetermined mass in my descending Colon - which prevented more air being inserted, as it presented as a blockage.

Consequently, this showed up on the CT Scan as a 'suspicious looking mass,' & a Colonoscopy was necessary to get a better view. Unfortunately, the camera could only get so far - because of the same reasons. The operator (who was to be my Surgeon,) told me straight after, that he was 99% sure that this mass was a tumour - & I had a left Hemicolectomy a month later - which proved his diagnosis was correct.

I think perhaps that a Colonoscopy perhaps gives better results in the immediacy, hence why it is offered first in most cases. It also offers the opportunity to remove small polyps, & take biopsies during the process - which a 'Virtual Scan' can't do.

I don't think it's to do with monies. My Colonography consisted of two Radiographers, whereas during my Colonoscopy procedure, I counted at least 5 - 6 Health workers in the room.

Best wishes

Marianne

• Hi Marianne, just wondering did they tell you at the time they couldn’t fill your bowel up sufficiently? I had really bad pain this morning when they were filling it and it felt so painful to even breathe in for the scan. The report has already been uploaded today and sent to my consultant so I don’t know the results but it also felt like it was blocked at my lower abdomen but they didn’t tell me they had issues filling it at the actual scan.

• I was warned there would be discomfort in the abdomen, due to all the air being pumped inside. However, I had no pain, because the air simply couldn't enter. I wasn't told this was happening, but it was clear to me at the time, as it just didn't feel right. The two radiologists were discussing it between themselves, & tried the procedure twice - but just had to proceed to take the xrays, with the information they had.

So, because you obviously had discomfort, it sounds as though enough air had entered your abdomen, to be able to take accurate xrays.

Best wishes,

Marianne