Phone Consultation

• 15 replies
  • 87 subscribers

Hi Everyone!

Hope you have all been well this week enjoying the lovely weather!  So, all of you who have been following my journey with my husband Jay's recurrant cancer diagnosis will or may not know that he had a telephone consultation with the urologist today and as it turns out everything is OK. He has some scarring on his kidneys due to I think it was an infection while he was in hospital in January getting his first cancer operation to remove his initial tumour and they thought there may have been some blockage there. The doctor described it as an exploratory phone call just to find out how he is with going to the toilet and how he is peeing. He pees fine he  told the doctorSmile `what goes in comes back out` especially during this hot weather as he is drinking a lot of water and fluids usually laced with ice- but that's allSmile and the doctor told him that that's good and he has to carry on drinking as much water as possible as it will help to flush out his kidneys. He asked Jay as well if he suffers from any back pain which he does but it's more of a `stiffness pain` he got a back injury years ago (before he got cancer) through work he had to do a lot of heavy lifting in his job which involved lifting steels at one time and I think he put his back out at one time and its never been right since. But the doctor is satisfied with the answers he gave to his questions and said he will phone him again in a couple of months time to find out again if there are any changes and he told him inbetween that time if anything does change i.e he finds he can't pee he needs to go to the GP right away. They thought they he may have had to fit a stent to help drain his kidneys but seemingly the doctor is saying that won't now be necessary now with what Jay told him.  So we're off again tomorrow for another couple of days (the joys of having your own caravan your own `wee bolt hole) to enjoy this lovely weather and get ourselves psyched up for starting `the big one` next Friday (chemotherapy). The `car saga` with our son is unfortunately still ongoing we had a wee glimmer of hope at the beginning of this week that he would get it back next week but for some reason `a third party` has done a `botch job` on the car before William bought it and the part related to where the engine goes has been welded together where is should have been bolted on and the mechanic said he can't touch it for some reason he has the car all stripped down ready to put a new engine in and now it seems the buck has been passed to the dealer in Wales who sold the car on as they obviously didn't check this before the car was sold to William. It gets better and better. Tune in for the next episodeSmileSmile. Take Care everyone.

Vicky xx.

• I got a message when I sent the last message saying that they had reason to think I was in danger, and to call 999, and if I couldn't speak to press 55, well I've read the message, and apart from putting tartan instead of tart and a few other spelling mistakes (my phone hates me) I can't see anything to give them cause to send the message, no S word, maybe it was lamb chops!! Weird xx

• Waffle all you like Rosie if it's keeping you sane!Smile. Went to the hospital this morning. Clinic running about half an hour late thought we were late but turns out they were.  The oncologist we see wasn't there today but we saw a pharmacist who just went over Jay's medication with him and the treatment again. He goes in at 9.30a.m. tomorrow for his first infusion session he'll be there for about 3 hours and then starts the tablets tomorrow night. He'll take the tablets for the 14 days and then a break for 7. On the Wednesday of his `down week` he has to go to the GP and get bloods done and then back for an appointment at the hospital on the Thursday that week then his next chemo cycle begins on the Friday again. Whew!! I'm doing my secretary bit writing everything down so we don't forget but the pharmacist said that once the first cycle is over we will know the drill so to speak after that. So he goes in tomorrow and they will give us the tablets away with us once he's finished. He'll get anti sickness tablets as well because this dose he gets maybe that bit stronger. Its going to be the same 4 in the morning and 4 at night but the pharmacist said he will start on a low dose just to see how he progresses on it and then they will probably up the dose if he tolerates it ok. They checked his bloods from the last time he was there and they said they were fine he's had so much blood taken over the last year I sometimes wonder if he has any leftBlush.  He's a bit peeved though that he won't be able to take cold drinks the first couple of days until his system gets used to the meds. He loves putting ice in his drinks he drinks a lot of diluting juice orange, barley water etc and puts tons of ice in it but the pharmacist says that the ice will go for his hands and that when even going into the fridge he should wear gloves because the cold is one of the side effects of the meds. He also said the cold drinks may cause a spasm in his throat while on the meds and if this should happen a warm drink should be taken to combat that. So yeah really nervous for him now but excited at the same time for the fact that they said there was nothing showing in his liver which we thought the cancer may have spread to and that his kidney function is acceptable too we mentioned the phone call with the urologist and that he was happy with what he was doing by way of his fluid intake and just to keep that up and that it may not be necessary now for him to get a stent fitted so that's one less thing to worry about. Just this damn car of our son's nowPersevere but I think we're that wee bit closer to resolving that now. Jay has told him we are now at the `nitty gritty` stage with his chemo and the months are going in and it'll be winter soon. The nights are getting so dark now I noticed. It's dark about 9p.m. now when I take the dog out just a couple of weeks ago it was still daylight at that time. Time is going so fast. Take Care Rosie will keep in touch. 

Vicky xx

• All the best for tomorrow, I noticed some of the chemists have the wee white cotton gloves in stock! 
    Better than big bulky ones .

Hope it goes smoothly,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hey PattyK, I'm not sure if time is flying by or not, it seems an age ago that I had the 1st colonoscopy,  and I was told it was cancer, that eas 11th June, but then also the nurse said it may not, be cancer, even though it said malignant tumor on the discharge notes! So it was another 3 weeks til I saw the consultant. I got a phone call this afternoon,  just after Steve and I had been bickering, I sent him home!! A plus of us not actually living together!! He went to his place, we bought it in 2008, I just rent the upstairs flat, so it's like a house, but I can lock him out!! Anyway I see Deena Hargy, I don't know if that's how you spell her name, I got a call from Wythenshawe colerectal nurse,  saying she would see me at 10am on Monday,  she's not even back off holiday yet, so things seem to be happening fairly quickly now, thank the lord, and if it can be done robotically she told my local consultant that she'd do it in early September. So maybe a couple of weeks away. I'm glad you're a good secretary, Steve's not,  he's dyslexic so I'm the one keeping copious notes and writing questions down when I think of any, I'm a little worried about it being in the nodes, and I may have chemo after the op, l don't know how long after it, but its a possibility. The regimen that Jay has seems like it will be helpful, at least he's moving forward. If I'm honest I don't know anything about chemo or anything really, I still feel like it's all very new, but I will face it, as I'm sure Jay will, he's done so well, let's hope the chemo gets the rest of the little buggers that escaped last time. I'm sure the car will be fixed, I hope so, as I believe the chemo can be very wearing and exhausting, if also feels ill he may not want to be driving too much. I do hope he copes well and he's not feeling too sickly. Steve had booked a holiday in Mallorca for October, he went in April, we have many friends there, he had to cancel that, luckily he's not paid for the hotel, if he had they'd have given him a refund anyway, we've been going to that hotel since 2005, twice a year until covid and he didn't book flights or car hire, so he's not out of pocket, I didn't go in April, too much pfaffing around with covid stuff, I looked after my 2 cats and his cat, though they're usually together most days, Dotty   his cat, is very loving, she loves her fusses, she can be fast asleep, then wake up, squeal, jump down then she'll stand on your chest and lick your face, nibbles your knees, then when she's had a fuss, back to the top of the cat tree, or in the cat hammock and goes back to sleep. Sweet thing, I've never left TeeTee on her own, I got Miss Tee to help with separation anxiety when I went out, not that I went out much, I've never left them overnight either, so that's playing on my kind, I'm sure they'll ne fine when I'm in hospital,  and Steve can stay here overnight, or not, I'm sure they'll be just fine. I can say I'm a fan of ice cold drinks, usually I have a cup of tea in the morning,  then I drink weak vimto, with ice, with the odd brew thrown in when I feel chilly, I haven't heard of the cold being connected to chemo, but I've tried not to do too much searching on Google, did that after my 1st colonoscopy,  scared myself silly!! I'll cross that bridge if and when I get to it, as I say I know nothing apart from the obvious ones you see on the TV or hear about, hair loss, being or feeling sick, the usual stuff,maybe I'm sticking ny head in the sand, but I'll cope. I'm having problems with rectal bleeding at the moment, Monday I had a do when l was in such pain, I sat on the loo over 2 hours sweating, so much, awful cramps, and to keep my head down as thought I'd pass out, and a lot of straining, it feels like there's something in there that gets stuck, and then the pressure behind it starts with cramps then usually diarrhoea,  and things settle for a while, then yesterday I went and it was hard and I had some bleeding, I'm not sure if I need to tell someone or if it's just because of what's going on in there, I take 3 docusate in the morning and at night and senna at night, with the sachets of laxido if I need them. Not sure, I'll mention it to the lady I'm seeing on Monday. Anyway I'm waffling, I hope Jay goes on ok, please keep in touch, I'll try not to waffle too much, my brains jumping from one thing to another with no reason behind it, hence I waffle. Take care, good luck tomorrow fingers crossed he does OK, and that you cope too, I know Steve's finding it hard, hence the bickering this afternoon. 

• Thanks Court!  The `butterflies` are circling already but hopefully they'll go away soonSlight smile

Vicky x