Stoma bag for rectal cancer?

• 9 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi everyone.

I had my scans this week, not had results yet but today found out they want to take out this cancer via TEMs procedure.

Following biopsy, if the tumour is high grade and risk of recurrence they may want to do more surgery.

my tumour is 7cm from the anal verge, and I was told I shouldn’t need a stoma following operation, However if I do it should be temporary.

I got lost in a bit of a rabbit hole, I’m only in my 20s so the idea of a permanent stoma is terrifying (even though they said I shouldn’t need one). I haven’t met with my team yet to ask these sorts of questions so my mind is going crazy.

has anyone had a their tumour 7cm from the anal verge or less and not needed a stoma, or a temporary one? I think I can deal with a temporary one, but a permanent one is terrifying me currently. Thank you! 

• Hi Leighsp

This is a massive shock and will take time to process.
    Others will be along with amazing advice.

I just wanted to say hello. 
    I have an ileostomy although much older than you I had also a fear of the unknown.

The one mindset I had was I wanted the Cancer out. Whatever it took.

Take care. Keep talking if it helps 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Leighsp,

I was also told after I had a colonoscopy that the tumour was far enough and that I shouldn’t need a stoma but I still had an appointment with the stoma nurse who gave me all the info and supplies prior to surgery, just in case. The first thing I did when I woke up from surgery was to check for a stoma and fortunately I didn’t need one at all. I hope you don’t need one either but as Artsie said, the main thing is to get the tumour out. I have also met some people who live very well with a stoma.

Take care x

• Hi . My tumour was 9cm from the anal verge and I had a temporary stoma that was reversed after I’d finished my post op chemo. There’s lots of people on here with them so you’ll have lots of help and support if you have one.

As Ann says the important thing is to get rid of the cancer first and then deal with the rest - your team will be doing everything they can for you and we’re here too if you have any fears or questions 

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Thank you, yes it’s just been over a week so I’m still very new to the idea, I’m not sure if I’ll ever fully process it! Like you say the main thing is the cancer is gone, I’m just worried about how I’m going to feel after but my boyfriend is super supportive and said he’s going to help me through this whatever it takes, stoma or no stoma. Xx

• Thank you! I’m really hoping that if I do have to go for surgery I won’t need a stoma, but I can deal with one temporarily if that’s what needs to happen to save me! A lot of people say you start to see it as a friend especially when it’s temporary as it saves your life. It’s just a lot to process but I know they will do whatever they can to avoid giving me one if possible xx

• Thank you Karen, Yes it’s true the most important thing above all is getting the cancer out. I’m just not looking forward to my journey, I wish it was over now! Yes I am being looked after, I’m booked in for the procedure on 2nd sept because there is only one surgeon who can perform the TEMs procedure and now he’s on holiday for 2 weeks. The scans were very quick and the colorectal nurse said I should hear back from them Monday or Tuesday. Are you recovering well from the reversal? Xx

• Leighsp

Thanks for the reply.
    You are doing really well in a very stressful situation as you have a great attitude. Don’t worry about having a stoma

I had a LAR with Ileostomy which may or not be reversed time will tell. Mines called Whoopi it saved my life  I travel abroad, eat out and enjoy life. People don’t know its there unless I tell them. I wear skinny jeans etc

My husband has been amazing and is not bothered about the stoma at all. He wanted me to have the operation. keep talking here if it helps you x

Take  care 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Thank you so much. Did you have any other treatment? I reallt don’t want radiotherapy as this is basicslly guaranteed to make me infertile whereas I feel with chemo I always have a chance. Still not sure what my plan is yet but thinking if radiation is offered I’ll refuse and seek other treatment xx

• Hi there

if you click on peoples names you can read their bio. I didn’t need Chemo afterwards as I was stage two. It was big though and causing me to block and unable to eat. So I was straight to surgery. He said that radiotherapy and chemo wasn’t an option for me as to where it was. 
    Do you know I really didn’t ask I just wanted the foul thing out of me. I trusted them and knew it was centred to my needs 

As you are so young they will take everything into consideration and discus the plan with you and hopefully give you the options of treatment. 

Honestly hand on heart I was anxious about a stoma. However I have beautiful underwear and cami tops. You really would not know if I didn’t tell you. 
    I always liked matching undies and felt frumpy in my clothes so I spent time finding lovely undies. They make me feel like me. Whoopi is no problem and works perfectly doing the job my rear end couldn’t . 

You take each day as it comes 

sending you a hug 

Ann
     ‍Art