6 days post surgery

• 4 replies
  • 85 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I posted a 'Hello' about 3 months ago to connect with you all and get some advice as I was nervous about finishing my treatment for bowel cancer. I had 25 days of radiotherapy and 30 days of capecitabine tablets (February and March). I wanted to give another update about what happened since then. I had MRI and CT scans in early May which showed a 'near complete response' to treatment and was enjoying life without any treatment or side effects. My consultant told me I would have surgery from the off to be sure everything was gone so I knew it was coming but didn't know when.

I then got a date for ELAPE surgery and only had 2 weeks to mentally prepare! I was terrified! I had the 8 hour surgery on 7/6/22 and I'm recovering in hospital. Everything went so well, I have had little to no pain and am getting stronger every day, walking around and sitting in a chair. I am so glad the cancer is in the bin (well, after being carefully analysed). I hope this is the last step for me and I can now move forward, get used to my new stoma and live a good life.

Just 6 and a half months after diagnosis and here I am! 

• Hi  and congratulations on being cancer free. That was a long op but you sound to be doing really well - next stop your own bed - lovely! I’m sure the stoma nurses are looking after you well but if you need any help when you get home then just pop onto the board here 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/ileostomy-and-colostomy-discussions-forum

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Openarms

I wanted to congratulate you on getting through your treatment. Now you’re on the other side you can look forward to a restful summer. It’s such a relief to get the stoma. I actually smiled when I felt mine. She saved me.   
    take it steady

If you have any questions regarding your stoma there’s a group dedicated to support and advice. I found it amazing to have so many that had been through and had tips and encouragement along the way. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Hi Openarms, I'm pleased to hear your treatment and surgery has gone well and you're healing. I was diagnosed February, finished the 25 days chemo/radiotherapy in early May and due to start pre-surgery scans etc next week. 

Mostly positive but keep getting the jitters, to be expected I suppose.  Will be glad when I'm at your stage.

Well done you and happy recovering. 

• Well done for staying positive. I hope the scans show you've had a good response to treatment. It's a difficult time but you'll be ok during surgery, you'll get through it and soon be on the other side of it recovering and living life x