Chemotherapy

• 9 replies
  • 83 subscribers

Folfiri not snowing great shrinkage. Has anyone tired other chemo therapies which have worked

• Hi 

Sorry to hear that . What did the oncologist suggest ? Is it keeping it stable ?

Thinking of you .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• He said that it showed one had shrunk 2mms and one had increased 4mms and some small new ones had also shown.  This was after three cycles.  We are to meet and discuss other options,  but he seemed to think that this was the best option that I have tried,  he talked of oxyipalatin and lonsac but I am not sure what would be the right approach. No other spread to any organs, 

• https://bowelcancerorguk.s3.amazonaws.com/Publications/TreatingAdvancedBowelCancer_BowelCancerUK.pdf

Sorry to hear that  not an easy consultation at all . If you know your cell type you can have a look at the leaflet I have linked in . It gives the full list of treatments available in the U.K. depending on your cell type .  My mum certainly got a good response from Oxaliplatin. In fact it was the only one she every used in combination with cap tablets .

Our helpline staff would be more than happy to chat this through with you on 0808 808 0000.

We have had people who don’t respond to one agent but from some unknown reason respond to another . 
    I don’t know how many tumours you have in total but you might like to see if you are a candidate for Radio frequency ablation also . There is a criteria as there is for everything but the leaflet gives some information on it and other approaches.

Take care and always here if you need to chat .

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Court. I don’t know my cell type how do I find this out. I don’t know how many tumours

but they are in the iliac nodes.  He did say the increase wS small but that he thought that there would be more of a change than was shown. I was really devestated as felt I was doing ok  would radio frequency ablation be an option for me   

• Your oncologist or Gp will be able to tell you what cell type you have .

I think radio frequency ablation might be more for the liver or lung but that does not mean there might not be a radiotherapy option . It would be a question you could ask your oncologist and it is important you have the opportunity to ask these questions  so you can understand your plan . Or to see if there was any other approaches that might be helpful . 

You are also entitled to a second opinion at any point .

A very distressing appointment , remember our helpline staff cover the emotional aspects too if you feel you would benefit from a chat at any time .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Court.  Radiotherapy is not an option as he said they are unable to cherry pick the nodes in question. Surgery also not possible as too close to the bowel and would probably just go to another node.  It is just a very difficult decision to decide whether to stay with the folfiri for another couple of cycles or change to capox or lansurf.  You never know if you have made the right decision. I know you are in Scotland,  I am too, at the Western.  I am grateful that so far it has not spread to my liver or lungs and take a small comfort that one of the nodes showed a very small shrinkage.  Clutching at straws. 

• Did you decide to stay on Flofiri for a few more cycles ?

Yes , a fellow Scott here !Grinning. My mum was treated at the Beatson .

I can see what your saying . They seem to prefer a systemic approach with chemo when it comes to the lymph nodes . Good news your liver and lungs are clear . Sounds as though it’s keeping things stable .

They should be able to tell you about the cell type though and it lets you see what others are doing . Bowel cancer U.K. has a stage 4 FB group that would allow you to see what others are doing treatment wise .

I don’t think your clutching at straws . Your liver and lungs remain clear and that’s a good thing . Long may it continue . 
    Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

• Court,  I am seeing him on Tuesday morning and have to make my decision then re, staying on Folfiri or changing to whatever he recommends.  I will have to go through all the options then.  I am just trying to get my head around it all.  Your input is much appreciated. I just hope I make the right decision.  I will keep you updated and thank you once again for your help, 

• Of course you do . It’s hard on the internet to sometimes get a full picture of what each individual is dealing with and where their cancer is located .

But having a good chat with your team and taking the time to work out the best plan for you is very important. I am always here to listen . 
    I will send you a friends request .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge