What is your surveillance schedule after treatment has finished?

• 4 replies
  • 86 subscribers

I’m a year post surgery no chemo or radiation. I’ve had x2 CEA blood tests and booked in for my 2nd CT Scan with contrast next month. My consultant has said no to a colonoscopy until I have my Ileostomy reversed. Also an MRI was mentioned but not booked, I will follow this up with her secretary.

• Hi . Follow up can often vary from health area to area but the NICE guidelines are as below

1.6.1 For people who have had potentially curative surgical treatment for non-metastatic colorectal cancer, offer follow-up for detection of local recurrence and distant metastases for the first 3 years. Follow-up should include serum carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) and CT scan of the chest, abdomen and pelvis.

I had follow up checks for 5 years (the above guidelines were brought in after I was diagnosed) and didn’t have a colonoscopy until just before my 5 year sign off. I haven’t had an MRI since being diagnosed but had 6 monthly CEA checks and annual CT scans

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Hi Scared Mummy

I was given a diary of what’s and when. But that’s not running right as at six months I should have a colonoscopy and I’m nine months and no reversal. Here they’re playing catch up and it’s going to be at least six months plus. 

Ann
     ‍Art

• Like others I was given a diary of what should happen when.however it is a bit hit and miss presumably due to covid.I have had all my cea blood tests at the local drive through phlebotomy(its very good and efficient) and any appointments have been on the phone.I did manage a 12mth ct scan as well 

Kath

• Bowel cancer in May '19 - resection Op. Mets to Lung following year. Ablation Oct '20.

Not given a diary of events since then - but receive an appointment date every six months  for a CT Scan (Blood test beforehand.) Last one was in January this year. Following these scans, I have a phone call from someone in my colorectal team - telling me results of scan. Last conversation told me that I will be due a Colonoscopy in March '23.

This situation suits me - & I am happy that I am being followed up on a 6 mthly basis - without me having to be proactive.