Bowel Prep advice

• 12 replies
  • 86 subscribers

Hi everyone 

I'm due to go into surgery Wednesday 28th for a high arterior resection. Tuesday I have to begin my bowel prep and the past couple of occasions I've been extremely Ill with it and wonder what advice anyone can give me.

I have to take Picolax which is not as bad as moviprep but still is quite disgusting. 

Any advice would be priceless

Many thanks

• Hi . I’ve only ever had moviprep but it looks like picolax has the same effect but in a smaller volume of liquid. I mix the moviprep then leave it in the fridge for an hour to cool. I then drink it in batches through a straw with a tonic water with lemon chaser. I’ve heard of people adding squash to it but there’s chance that might make it worse so if you do try, then only do it to a small amount to start with! Stay within running distance of the toilet. Have wet wipes handy and a barrier cream or nappy cream for your bottom. I also wore a sanitary pad just in case. If you find that it’s making you very ill then ring the number in your paperwork for guidance

Hope the op goes well

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • I also really struggle with bowel prep and find picolax the best of a bad bunch. I found taking a  l o n g time to drink it (over an hour) worked best for me. Also having mixed it up, I covered the glass with cling film, then poked a straw through it so I didn't have to smell it! Had a follow up colonoscopy ( and polyp removal) last week so really feeling your pain and anxiety. 

Good luck.

Helen

SFUC
  • Thanks Karen, I've done some research and hoping it will go down better this time 

• Thanks Helen

I have a high arterior resection on Wednesday so I will try everything to make this prep easier. 

I got a straw, apple juice to take it with and clear lucozade to take straight after hoping to take some of the bitterness away.

Darren

• Hi, , can't really help as I just grinned and drank it so to speak. Might help that I don't really have a sense of smell!! What I was going to say, was all the best for tomorrow and the removal of the beast. Take care.

• Hi everyone, im due in for my colonoscopy tomorrow , have to report at 08.45. so today is d day at 1900pm tonight my first dose of  lemon flavoured moviprep is due  then again at 5am in the morning.. My instructions are i can eat a low fibre diet till 15.00. Ive only had white toast for breakfast and a plain omlette with a tiny amou nt of grated cheese. and around 1430 im having cheese potato pie .. ill be imaging the roast beef roast my hubby is doing for tomorrow evening.. hope ill be well enough to eat.. totaly dreading the prep and then trying to get into bathroom , i have other medical issues that leave me not very good on my feet. ANY ADVICE  WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

BEST WISHES TO EVERYONE GOING THROUGH IT..

• Hi . Mix your drink early and let it chill in the fridge. I broke it down and tried to drink a glassful every 15 -20 minutes - 3 big slurps through a straw then a drink of tonic to take the taste away. I would stay near to a toilet even if it means spending the evening upstairs. I popped a sanitary pad in my underwear just for reassurance. It’s important to finish both parts of the drink even if you think you’re empty. I was worried that the liquid I was passing was a yellowy colour rather than clear but the nurse said that was fine.

Hope it goes well. I had sedation and was absolutely fine afterwards and ready for a good meal.

Please let us know how you get on

Take care

Karen x

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm
  • Evening Karen,

The prep didnt work at all until i took the morning dose, then it also didnt totally clear me. I called ahead to tell them, however i was told to still attend as the Dr would give a flush before beginning. I have never known anything so painful, i had sedation, but it did nothing, ive 3 children 1  was a ceaserearn, nothing every as painful it felt like my insides were being ripped from me. I discovered that i have a large bowl, which was not suitable for  colonoscopy without a general anthestic. Being im also taking alot of opiod meds for afew medical problems.. All of which i asked about and was assured would be ok, It'll be some weeks before i get the 4 biopsies returned, fingers crossed everything will be ok.

hope youe well

Carol 

• Hi, , how did the high AR go, hope you are now home recovering.

• It was cancelled last minute. Not enough staff in HDU for me to stay. Not impressed, going back in Wednesday fingers crossed.