Enemas

• 1 reply
  • 84 subscribers

87 year olds mother diagnosed with last fe-threatening bowel cancer last Thursday . They will assess her for op. And if it can’t be removed she goes into palliative care. She’s  been into hospital twice  in 3 weeks with acute pain relieved by being given an enema after bloods and x ray. It was after 2nd admission CT scan showed large tumour. Today pain again so into hospital. I phoned after two hours to be told her pain gone and after she’d been given an enema she could come home. An hour later she was discharged. In car home she says ‘ I was asked if I wanted the give myself the enema and I said yes’. She had it in her handbag! I’m shocked she was given a choice and it is left up to her. Is this usual? 

• Hi 

Firstly can I apologise for kissing your post ! I can’t quite believe your mum was sent home to do her own enema following an emergency admission. To be honest I would not know if it was standard practice or not but it seems a big heartless to me at that age. 
    A couple of days have passed and I hope she is in a better position ! If you need to speak to one of the nurses our helpline could maybe assist and find out for you . 0808 808 0000.

I hope she gets some assistance soon for her  for her needs!

Once again I am so sorry for not getting back to you . I am not sure how I missed it !

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000