My father has rectal cancer

• 3 replies
  • 84 subscribers

Hi, I am new to the group and my story is my father found out in December he has rectal cancer and the doctors told him the tumor is 12 cm and too big to operate. They did a colostomy and  they started him on chemo pills and radiation in which didnt shrink the tumor and he now is starting with a small spot on his liver. His doctors here where we live pretty much had no further plan and made us think there was nothing else they could do. So I got him an appt at the dana fauber cancer institute in Boston, Ma. and they say he can take a stronger liquid chemo to see if that shrinks it to where they can go in and remove it. My dad is 61 years old and until now has been healthy but since finding this out he had been in and out of the hospital with infections. Is there anyone with similar stories and suggestions of any sort ? I can't lose my father please help any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you have a blessed day

• Hi 

Welcome . I take it you are in America and that sounds like a good hospital to consult with . Do you know a bit about your dad’s cell type . Some people respond better to second line chemo than first and he does not sound as though he has exhausted all avenues.

I would certainly recommend finding out a bit more about his tumour biology so you can get a feel for the options that are open to him . Is immunotherapy an option ? 

We certainly found a second opinion very helpful .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi thanks for ur reply. Yes I am in America.  How do I find out his cell type? I dont mean to sound dumb but this is my 1st of going thru anything like this but im guessing the doctor would have this info or is it some kind of test they gotta do to get this? It makes it bad cause like i say his doctor doesn't explain anything to us. Just like the sore he has on his butt from this the doctor looked and said it was the tumor coming out the sores that it had found its way out anf to put some kind of protection on it but didnt give any suggestions on what to put on it. How would i know if immunotherapy is an option? Thank you soooo much for the information. You are a blessing!!

• Hi ,

If they did a biopsy when he had a colonoscopy then your Dads oncologist should have that information. If he wishes it he could email his consultant . 
    https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/bowel-cancer/staging-and-grading-of-bowel-cancer

I have added a link that gives you all the stages and grades . At the bottom of the booklet it gives you all the information on the cells . Some people if they are MSI ( microsatellite instability) are possibly suitable for treatments like Immunotherapy. Keytrunda is one of them.

It is good to know his cell type information so you can get information on what options are available.

Can you switch teams if you feel he is not getting communicated with properly ? Is this a second opinion you have arranged ? Good on you if it is . It can be very helpful and informative to get a second clinical opinion . Even just to assist you all to know exactly what is going on . I think it’s quite sad that he if left without the proper guidance and information.

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000