Covid vaccine and capecitabine

• 11 replies
  • 87 subscribers
  1. Has anyone had the vaccine while on treatment and wot was there experience due to have mine while on treatment thank you 
  • Hi Bop, am interested in any replies here too... My first dose of vaccine wasn’t whilst on treatment (but am expecting my second one to be whilst still on treatment) so am also interested to know if anyone has had the experience. 
    Suzy

• Thank you suzy I'm just scared in case it makes me ill because my immune system could be low 

• Hi ,

Just wondered if any of you are able to shed any light on having a vaccine whilst on treatment .

Take care ,

Court 

Community Champion Badge

Helpline Number 0808 808 0000

• Hi I had mine before treatment .I would check with your  colorectal nurses and see what they say . I had no side effects from the vaccine only a sore arm. I know others who are on longer chemo and had it between their  treatments and have been fine.with it.  I am in week 3 of treatment. Good your luck with your journey. 

• Hi, my husband was due to have his 2nd vaccine tomorrow  and that is his last day of chemo cycle 1. He's done so well so far, am so proud of him. His oncologist recommended him.to cancel it and arrange for it to be done off cycle so that his white blood cells has time to regenerate. We queried this and asked because my husband is anaemic. We are worried whether the gp is able to arrange another date for when he is off his cycle,  but luckily the hospital got in touch and said they will try rearrange that for him.

X

• Hi there, I am due to start my first (ever) capecitabine 6 month cycle next week. I have had my first vaccine jab end of Jan. I phoned up my GP yesterday and they booked me in for second jab tomorrow. GP says they are prioritising cancer patients for their second shot/bringing them forward, but GP also stated to check with my oncologist so I am ringing them up today. I don't foresee an issue in getting the jab Before starting chemo, hopefully there won't be. 

Good to hear and read other's comments regarding chemo and the new vaccine! It's a brand new vaccine so I am interested to hear how others with the same condition/ treatment get on. Take care and all the best 

• Thank you Sarah This is helpful. 

• Thank you all im doing good on day 17 radiotherapy and day 20 chemo no side effects up to now take care x

• Hi, I spoke to my oncologist about taking the vaccine and they recommended having it on my week off treatment, I have a 3 week cycle with two weeks on, one week off. They did say that towards the end of the second week would be ok at a pinch, I ended up having it on day 12/21. I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca vaccine. 

I had mild side effects very similar to what i get from the flu vaccination; generalised achiness in the evening for about 12 hours (I had the vaccination at 8:30am), and a very mild headache for a couple of days.

Hope this helps

Sarah 

• Thank you I spoke to my oncologist today and she said that it will be ok to get the covif vaccine while on treatment but it wouldn't be as effective but would give me some protection thanks everyone hope this helps x