Return to playing sports

• 13 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Im looking for some advice. I have Osteosarcoma with mets to my lungs and various other areas. The cancer is stable at present, hooray for that. The primary tumour was removed from my right tibia and replaced with a metal prothesis. I have muscle wastage to the quads and don't have fully range of movement to the leg. Basically I can't run! Can do long walks & hustle when needed. I continue to get stiffness and pain around the knee when i over do things. 

Just wondering if anyone has had similar surgery, who can recommend a new sport to try or groups I could join? I've had a chesty cough recently which meant I haven't been swimming in months, so my waistline has taken a hit! Prior to diagnosis I loved playing tennis & football. I would love to get into playing some sport socially again. 

Thanks

Waruni.

• Hi Jay I was really interested in your post because it bears a few similarities to my own.  Newly diagnosed 1 month.  My prognosis is a bit tough, Aggressive, primary lung, secondaries liver, tummy and bone and probably more, they have stopped testing now.   They reckon I have had it since christmas.  12 - 15 months with full treatmen - 3 -6 without, but they are just guestimates at the end of the day as you have proved, so I refuse to give up too.  Your spirit is inspiring!  I had no pain anywhere, then following a very small fall forward onto my knees everything changed.  I didnt even hurt myself.  The pain started 3 days later, it was incredible I had never experienced anything like it.  Trapped nerve.  It was relentless day and night, couldnt be distracted from it in any way and I consider myself really tough. 10 totally agonising days later, the pressure in my leg had all but gone so I went from totally able bodied to wheelchair in 8 days.  I could only walk about 10 steps this time.  I ended up in same day emergency day 10. and things moved at such a pace I could hardly breathe.  8 differerent test, scans, mri, x rays and much i hadnt even heard of on the following consecutive 8 days.  Each one torture with my leg.  The day they did the mri spine scan changed my life.  They found a tumour around the base of my spine, the source of that particular problem.  Nest day was emergency radiotherapy to get me out of pain and thankfully it worked like a dream.  Oh the relief, I was so grateful and on a super high!  The results were supposed to be 8 - 10 days, it took 5.  I couldnt start chemo, my body was in too poor a condition after all the pain so it was delayed.  I was grateful for that too! 13 days to chemo  and already feeling lots stronger.  So does the pain come back as bad as that first time?  They have said there are plenty of options oramorph and MST which I am now on, but have weaned already 4 to 3 doses per day.  And the painkillers too.  Didnt like the amount of time i was sleeping.  The pain is a bit worse, but nothing unbearable.  Keep going strong Jay! I definately need positive  support like you!!!!!

• Hi Jay, how you keeping? I just wanted to say hello 

• Hi frantic10, how are things? You the medics been able to get on top of your pain? Wishing you all the best.