Hi there I’m a newbie… advice please re missing a BCG treatment

• 4 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi there I’m new to the group I hope you’re all ok? My dad has just had his 7th BCG and is booked in for the next two Tuesdays and then he will be on his break for 3 months. 
my question is if he has next weeks treatment and he misses his last one as I want to take him away on holiday would that be ok and i rebooked his treatment for the week after? He is worrying about it. It’s my parents 54th wedding anniversary and I really just wanted to make this a special week for them and spend half term break with them and my daughter. What do you think? Thank you for reading xx 

• Hi  and welcome to the group. I have not had BCG but we do see people here having a week off for various reasons. For peace of mind your dad could give the nurses a ring to check. The break may do him good. I am sure someone will b along with personal experience to offer advice. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• Thank you for your reply its much appreciated xx 

• Hi TiggeeWigger,

Welcome to this forum, sorry to hear about your father, but good to hear his treatment is started.

We often hear about BCG being postponed due to various reasons. Not being well, UTIs etc. So I guess it doesn't make a great deal of difference in the scheme of things. I've been fortunate to not have missed one yet (had 15).

Like Rily said I'd try the oncology nurses just to be sure.

Personally (and this is really just me as everyone is different) I would prefer to get the BCG out of the way. It's quite mentally draining for me and I just want to get them done. It can also have some side effects, such as urgency to wee, discomfort and inflammation (plus others) for a while. Trying to think back, I think my side effects weren't to bad after the 8th.

Does your father speak about any side effects? Maybe his concerns might also be because of these also.

It does sound lovely what you are suggesting and I'm sure your father will have a great time.

Hopefully your dad's concerns can be answered and that you all have a lovely time if you get away and don't let my personal experience put you off. A holiday break might be just what the doctor ordered for your dad..

Best wishes.

Trevor 

• Hi TiggerWigger,Welcome to the group.I hope your dad manages to get away.Wishing your parents a Happy Anniversary.Jane x