Hello everyone

• 14 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. I've been battling bladder cancer for four years now, and just had my sixth surgery last week along with antibiotic treatment.

My cancer journey has been challenging. Since my diagnosis in 2020, I've faced numerous setbacks:

• Lost my regular job
  • Had to sell our house and move to Milton Keynes
  • Struggling to find work at 60 due to my illness and age
  • Unable to get insurance because of frequent relapses and surgeries
  • Currently relying on my wife's income, which is difficult for me

Despite working steadily for 24 years at my last job, paying taxes, and trying to be a good citizen, I haven't found much support. It's disheartening that no person, place, or institution seems interested in our family's situation.

I'm writing because I'm feeling overwhelmed and discouraged. While cancer is a formidable opponent, it's the feeling of powerlessness and inability to contribute that's truly weighing on me.

I'm not sure what kind of support I can expect here, but I hope to connect with others who understand this journey. Wishing everyone in the group success in their treatments and recovery.

Thank you for listening.

• Thank you Jane. I’m currently having a cuppa in the garden x 

• Hi Kittybones, glad you are feeling better. Hope your dogs are recovering too and you can all sympathise with each other with some nice cuddles. Personally I think happiness is a warm dog. Sending love H x

• Hi tycek, so sorry you have been kicked by the system. You should be getting financial and emotional support, that's what the Welfare State and NHS is for! I think you should see your GP and tell them you feel overwhelmed and unsupported. Hopefully they can suggest where support could be found. Or maybe call the Macmillan help line? You need your energies to cope with the on-going treatment. Sending you love and positive wishes for finding the help you deserve. Hx