Molecular profiling

• 31 replies
  • 14 subscribers

Hi, has anyone had any experience of Molecular Profiling? I have heard it’s really good in identifying specific mutations and therefore being able to provide targeted therapy even for Stage 4. 

• Hi Andy 

I hope you don’t mind me butting in!  I have asked my hospital if there is any alternative treatment to gem/cis and durvalumab, and the nurse doesn’t seem to think so. I’m wondering where else to turn. Did you get referred for a trial, or was it just “luck”? 

• Ok that’s really helpful, thank you Blush 

• Hi Jools,

No problem at all. Through reading articles and getting in touch with other patients, Prof Bridgewater’s name kept coming up. I had done Capecitebine but the disease kept spreading, did well with Gem/Cis but after a few months that stopped working, so I was short on options and made an appointment to see him privately. It was sheer luck that a trial was about to begin that I was eligible for and didn’t require any mutations. 
    Have you tested for possible mutations? 
    If you go to ammf.org.uk and click on “Menu” —> Cholangiocarcinoma —> Treatments you will find a list of all available drugs that are available to treat bile duct cancer. It doesn’t include trials but I think there is another page that does. You can also email AMMF directly.

I hope this helps!

All the best!

• Good luck to you both, would be interested to hear how you get on with the trial Andy. Thanks for the info and advice.

• Hi Jules, 

I was only on the trial for a few months and then my kidneys were impacted. That was 4 years ago and I haven’t had any treatment since and the tumour shrunk by 40% and then went dormant. Another 10 months and Prof B says he won’t need to see me anymore. I can just arrange annual scans with my GP.

• Hi Andy thank you so much for your help. I was aware of AMMF, but didn’t know they list available treatments. I will have another look at their website. I have my last bupa counselling session today. I think I’ve made a final decision regarding any treatment, but not quite 100% sure, so I’m going to take up the offer to go to my local hospice. I hope you’re okay? 

• Good luck with whatever you decide to do, hope you’ve the support you need x

• My pleasure Jools.

Wishing you all the best for your session today and for the future.

Anything I can do to help, please let me know.