Devastated wife

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi,

I joined this group a while ago, but this is the first time I’ve posted.

My husband, a fit 55 year old, was diagnosed with bile duct cancer at the beginning of April 24.  Scans showed that the cancer was also in the stomach lining and therefore surgery was ruled out.  He had been on a golfing minI break in Portugal, where he thought he had food poisoning!  About 5 days after returning home, he noticed his eyes had started to turn yellow!  He went to A&E and that’s when our lives changed forever! 

The first procedure was to put drains in his chest to release the bile.  This was a terrible experience as it had to be done under a local anaesthetic so he could follow instructions whilst the drains were going in.  He had the drains for approx 2/3 weeks and then had a stent put in his liver and the drains internalized.

Following  this we still had to wait for his billerubin levels to drop before chemo and immunotherapy could begin safely.  He managed one session then his bloods showed that his markers for his liver had spiked and that he would have to wait and resume treatment on its next cycle.  

Sadly, before the next cycle he was hospitalized again as the tumor had invaded his small bowel.  He has had a stoma fitted, we have been back in hospital for 2 and a half weeks now.  Today we learnt that he will probably have to have his liver stent replaced as he has started to turn yellow again.

Our hope now is that he will be able to come home for a while until he needs to go into a hospice.

This is a completely symptomless cancer until there are symptoms!!!  It has been very aggressive,  the Oncologist said that it is just incredibly bad luck.

Ii know this is a horribly sad situation.  I just wished we had found it before it spread and then maybe would have been possible to have the Whipple procedure.

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm so sorry to read about your husband and I do understand what a difficult time this must be for you both.

I'm not a member of this forum but noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

Sending lots of virtual (((hugs)))

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"