No treatment due to health

• 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi a family member has been diagnosed with bile duct cancer. They cannot have surgery or chemo due to health conditions they had a stroke in 2018 and are paralysed down one side. The hospital have said they don't want to interfere with the bile ducts as it can aggravate the cancer and cause more issues. We aren't sure what stages it is yet but they are monitoring from symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this. The family member was awaiting surgery for another health condition but they are saying it isn't doable anymore due to the bile duct cancer. Wondered what others life expectancy is if it's not treated.

• Hi I am sorry a member of your family has been diagnosed with this cancer. I was diagnosed in late December. I had bowel cancer in 2019, so don’t know if that made any difference to my prognosis. I was told 6 months, but when I questioned this last week, I was told they don’t have enough data to give a more accurate timeline, therefore it is not a prediction, and isn’t very reliable. I think the question needs to be put to their oncologist. I would suggest asking them for a more personal timeframe based on your relative’s medical history. I hope this helps in some way.

• Thank you and sorry for your diagnosis its truly a horrible disease my Nana passed from the pancreas cancer in 2020 after being told 3 weeks before she passed away. 

1. Hello, I'm new to the forum as its taken me some time to get my head out of the sand and accept what I have been told.  I am not having any treatment for cancer as the consultant has not been able to determine which type I have,  there are 2 types of bile duct cancer. I became ill last July and have been treated for losts of othe health issues like renal failure and pancreatic issues, but despite 3 endoscopy investigations they have not been able to get a biopsy of the cancer. My general health has deteriorated dramatically and I am not able to receive an operation until I improve a lot. I am not even looking at life expectancy but work towards increasing my appetite and mobility.  Has anyone experienced severe weight loss and how are they coping?  Hope today is good for you.