My husband was awaiting a liver transplant and his doctors decided to biopsy a small 3.5cm spot in his liver that didn’t looked suspicious. This team of doctors said they needed to know what they were dealing with during the transplant. The biopsy was done last week and we learned on Tuesday that it is bile duct cancer. This diagnosis disqualifies him from receiving a liver transplant. A team of doctors met this week to discuss his treatment plan and said that since his meld score was >20 and bilirubin was 6 they think his best option is no treatment. They are concerned that ablation, chemotherapy or radiation would shut his liver down. His cancer is stage 2. How long are we looking at with no treatment? I haven’t seen any reports of anyone in our same situation.
Hi DD23 and a warm welcome to the online community
I can't help with your questions, as I had a different type of cancer, but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. By responding to you it will 'bump' your post back to the top of the discussion list where hopefully it'll be spotted by someone who can help.
If you don't get any replies you could post your questions in the ask a nurse section of the online community and one of the specialist nurses will aim to respond within 3 working days. Alternatively your husband could have a chat with his CNS who should be able to help him further.
While you're waiting for replies it would be great if you could pop something about your husband's diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.