Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) for bile duct cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi

I haven't been here for ages for various reasons.  My husband has had to endure a lot in the last 8 months and of course this affects the whole family.  

He is doing much better now and after the last lot of chemo his oncologist has just told him the tumour has stopped growing (of course this is no cure).  

I've been reading about a treatment called PDT that the NHS is using to treat some forms of cancer.  I can't find any information as to whether they can use it in the treatment of bile duct cancer in the UK but when I went onto the American Cancer Society it explains in detail how they use it to treat bile duct cancer.

Has anyone heard of this and if so do you know of anyone that has had this treatment?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

All the best to everyone going through this horrible illness.

Helen

• Hi

I'm glad to hear that your husband's tumour has stopped growing but it's normal to try and find out about different treatment plans.

Although I'm not a member of this group I noticed that your post had gone unanswered. This is possibly because no one in this group has any experience with PDT. I did search the group for older posts on this topic but didn't find any.

I see that you have had a reply from Bill, one of the cancer information nurses, to your question posted in ask a nurse about this treatment. If you haven't seen it yet clicking here will take you to it.

Wishing you and your husband all the best

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Helen , I am interested to find out if you did get any more on this treatment, my husband was receiving chemo for his bile duct cancer but they stopped it until a CT scan to see if the chemo was working , we have had to wait 5 weeks for the scan and to see the oncologist for the results. I would like to be able to know there are further options out there.

I agree its a horrible illness to watch the person you love in pain and not know what the future holds

Carol

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Carol

Ä°t's taken me a while to reply because unfortunately I haven't been able to find out a lot about this treatment. Once I do get some information I'll let you know. We have an appointment with my husband's oncologist next month so I'm hoping to ask him for some help in this.

I'm sorry to hear everything is taking so long. Ä° hope things are looking up for you 

All the best

Helen