Hello I’m new to this group

• 6 replies
  • 58 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed with Anal cancer.

last Friday I had to have stoma It’s all feeling very daunting 

and frightening..

• Hello P22

Welcome to our little corner here on the MacMillan site although I am sure you would rather not be here.

Getting a cancer diagnosis is absolutely terrifying and I think all of us can remember with great clarity the day we were told and the host of feelings that follows; fear, bewilderment, denial to name a few.  Often treatment can take some time to start as the MDT (mult-disciplinary team) in charge of your case have to gather all the data from scans, biopsies and tests and a a treatment plan is devised just for you.  When you know what is happening you will feel a lot more in control of what is happening to you.

I am sorry you had to have a stoma first (I have one, although mine came afterwards) but I understand having one can make certain parts of the standard treatment easier.

When you know more, please come back and let us know (if you feel up to it), we have lots of tips to help and are always here to support if needed.

Big hug

Irene xx

• Irene Thank you for getting back to me It’s so lovely to hear from somebody whose going through something similar.I agree it is the fear of the unknown.I start my treatment ( Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy)on the 14th October and I’m really worried about the side effects.Sitting down is already a nightmare .

Big hugs

Patricia xx

• Hi P22

Welcome to the club none of us want to be in. I was diagnosed in July and start my treatment on Monday. I haven't been using the forum for long but you will find everyone is lovely and like Irene said they have tips to help you with treatment and all the feelings that come along as they've all been there or are going through it. Everything you feel is totally normal, you are not alone. Sending hugs. Xx

• Hi P22

sorry you have found yourself here, however you have found a fantastic forum to support you going forward.

I was like you and needed a stoma before treatment, that in itself seemed more daunting than knowing I had cancer, however 3 years down the line I’m glad I had it done as read lots that it can be painful trying to go a toilet while on treatment can be painful, that worry was taken away from me right at the start as I couldn’t go anyway as the tumour was stopping me. 
    Due to having scar tissue up there it is causing a structure so can’t no longer go to the toilet so I do have my stomach powder for life. 

I read lots about what other was going through with skin problems down there and very sore etc, and on speaking to my oncologist nurse they suggested some really good tips so here is what I did. 

Just before treatment started I bathed everyday in Epsom salts the one for psoriasis, eczema and dry skin. Once treatment started Every time I used the toilet for a wee I wiped myself with E45 and I had a barrier cream I was given called Cavilon cream I put that on after. Once treatment started  I think it was about a week later I felt very itchy down there felt like thrush so took antihistamines which worked a treat. 
    I continued this routine all the way through till about a couple of weeks after treatment finished. 

I had no soreness at all down there yes my skin went dark and peeled but no softness at all. 
    at the end of treatment I had a sort at the top of my bum I’m not sure whether it was where the beam had  gone through or it was where I had been laying on it and it was like a pressure sore I don’t know, but I was given some dressing to go on it which helped it was one of those sores that was wet and so I put my stoma powder on it after a week of trying all sorts on it and within days it had healed. 
    If you haven’t heard of the stoma  powder it’s brilliant stuff I  use it for everything, I call it my miracle  powder. 

Anyway I hope you can find some tips from this info and good luck with everything, and I know you feel frightened but honestly there is nothing to be frightened of once treatment starts you’re feel much more in control your know what to expect and will get in to a routine. speak soon

take care 

Laura x x

• Hi  , I just wanted xx to jump on & offer you another warm welcome to our little corner of the MacMillan Online Community although I’m really sorry to learn of your recent diagnosis. 

Your feelings of fear are absolutely normal & completely understandable, we’ve all been where you are right now so you’re in good company, the majority of us have had a diagnosis of anal cancer & have been through or are facing treatment/surgery with a proportion of our members having stoma surgery too. By the nature of our particular diagnosis during & after treatment has finished it can be pretty uncomfortable & sometimes really painful having bowel movements & people that have had stoma surgery prior to treatment have commented that they’re thankful that they’ve not had to endure this discomfort. 

Personally I’m now 6 years 3 months post treatment & doing well, I’m back living my life. 

Please if you’ve any questions don’t be afraid to ask, we’re an open minded bunch here quite used to discussing all things bottom & toilet related! We’re here to help support you however we can. 

Nicola 

• Hello P22,

I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis and am also waiting to start treatment next week. None of us want to be on this forum but I am very glad that it exists. 

Some extremely kind and helpful fellow sufferers out there sharing advice and support.

Big hug to you. You are not alone x