PET C T scan

• 7 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Having had a biopsy ct scan with dye and an mri I was waiting 3 weeks for results. Today I had a call asking me to attend a PET c t scan on Monday!! Any advice would be much appreciated 

• Hi Beccie, 

have you received a diagnosis as yet ?

best wishes 

Chrissie 

• Hello Beccie

Welcome to the forum, although I am sure you would rather not be here - but we have all had a similar diagnosis and gone through the uncertainty, worry and fear that accompanies these investigations that are carried out in the early days and can totally empathise.  A PET scan is done to make check there aren't any 'hot spots' (spread) from the original tumour.  Having this done doesn't necessarily mean there are, the team treating you are just doing additional checks.

Please let us know how you get on, we are here to offer support should you need it.  Please let us know how your scans go.

Big hug

Irene xx

• Not a confirmed diagnosis no

• Thank you so much for explaining it Irene I will definitely let you know

• Hi  ,

Firstly welcome to the MacMillan Online Community although I’m really sorry that you’ve had the need to find us.

I see that Irene has already explained about the PET scan, I’ve never had one but I believe they are just slightly more detailed than CT’s & MRI’s & show up anything that may require further investigation, they’re done as much for ruling out further concerns as they are for suspicion of further spread if that makes sense. Some hospitals/consultants seem too do them as part of the diagnostic scans regime whereas others don't. 

I hope all goes well. 

Nicola 

• Hi Chrissie

this week I had a PET CT scan and I’m still awaiting results then hopefully I’ll get a diagnosis. It seems such a long time! What started off as a rollercoaster ride seems to have come to a standstill. But then I’m guessing summer holidays are playing a part understandingly 

• Hope you get your diagnosis soon Beccie ? Let us all know xx