New here-hello

• 4 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Just joined…recently diagnosed with Well Differentiated Invase Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Anus. Pretty distressed!!! Also, classed as Stage 3 because it appears some lymph nodes in the groin are enlarged.

I’m set to have radiation and chemo. not feegreat about the outcome considering the Stage 3 category.

looking for to learning more from you have been through this or are going through this.

• Good Morning it is pretty scary when diagnosed with a cancer diagnosis.  I have the exact type of cancer as you, I had 28 rounds of radiotherapy, one liquid infusion of Chaemo at the beginning of treatment Then in tablet form for the rest of the time.  My oncologist was very good and explained everything that would happen and should you have any questions about after effects the radiology staff are there to help with advice.  Please make sure your bladder is full before your radiology otherwise you have to drink water until it is full enough they use ultra sound to make sure it is.  If you have any questions I’ll happily tell you my own experience.  I finished treatment on the 5th January 2024.  Had a lots of scans after about six weeks after finishing treatment.  So far so good and the results are very good, have got a telephone appointment tomorrow hepefully good news.  Just take a deep breath do what they tell you and tell them if you are unsure about anything.  Not a journey I wanted to go on and it’s a waiting game.  Remember this forum is here to help.  

• Morning, first of all it is understandable that you'll be distressed - it is quite a shock, isn't it? I think once you have met the medical people who will be treating you, you wil l feel much calmer about it and much more that things are under control.

Many of us here have been on the same treatment it sounds like you will be on, and it is very effective (if a bit tough on the undercarriage) but worthwhile to be free of cancer.

Please use this forum to ask whatever you like, especially the 'what'll happen to me?' stuff. I found it invaluable when I was first diagnosed and all through my treatment.

I finished two years ago and am checked a few times a year now; so far I am clear, and feeling great. 

I wish you all the best x

• Hello SCCA24

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but a warm welcome to the forum.  Nearly all the people on here have been through or are going through the treatment that you are about to start and we have lots of coping strategies and tips to share. 

The early days are the worst (well they were for me).  I vividly remember the absolute shock, disbelief and distress that comes with a cancer diagnosis and it wasn't until treatment was underway that I started to feel more in control of what was happening and saw a light at the end of the tunnel.  The treatment is tough but very effective and your team will keep a close eye on you during the course and very regularly afterwards (years, normally) to check for any recurrence.

An essential purchase I learned about on here was a Sitz bath, a portable bidet that sits on the loo and is invaluable for soothing the nether regions in the later stages of treatment.  I even used mine as a loo, it was much less painful going under water and is easily emptied and disinfected.  Also alert your team about pain or sores, they are normally very responsive and have access to a range of creams and painkillers that they can prescribe.

And keep a calendar and mark off the days of treatment - you will be surprised at how quickly they pass and there is nothing better than looking back over your shoulder at the whole experience of treatment and getting back to normal.  Mostly a new normal, but a very welcome one none-the-less.

And the forum is always here to support if you need it.

I am thinking of you and sending a big hug. 

Irene xx

• Hi  ,

Firstly welcome to the MacMillan Online Community although I’m really sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.  It’s a massive shock when you’re given the news that you have cancer & then the rollercoaster begins. Your emotions will be all over the place, we know as we’ve all been there too. Please use this as a safe space to ask questions & advice (we’ve lots of hints & tips on getting through the treatment for this particular diagnosis & beyond) or if you just feel like unloading to a group of people that really understand what you’re going through. As for your staging there are many people that have been through this forum staged 1, 2, 3 & 4 that are through treatment & living cancer free lives now, the lymph nodes that have been affected should be mapped into your radiotherapy plan & zapped at the same time as your tumour. If you’ve any questions please just ask. 

Nicola