A quick hello and a question about waiting times.

• 5 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Hey everyone,

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and all I seem to have done since is wait.

I had various scans and a biopsy. I ended up back in hospital the next day due to haemorrhaging and have to have a second opp.

Only a couple of days ago I was then told I needed a PET scan before any treatment can start. Today I was contacted by the hospital saying my scan is in nearly two weeks time.

Then I rang the lovely local Macmillan nurses who told me there are large delays and it would be another week before scan results and then another two weeks until treatment starts.  is it normal to have a two month wait for treatment to start when cancer has already been confirmed?

I'm dealing with this the best I can but am frustrated at the lack of urgency by my local health authority.

• Hi Tricia , 

I have been waiting months … biopsies , scans , rectal bleeds which ended up in hospital , but now got oncologist appointment next week , so hopefully treatment will start soon .. I think it is normal to allow the team to work out the best plan .. I have rectrorectal cysts as well , but been 6 months from going to GP to seeing oncologist .. keep contacting your consultant to find out what’s going on .. are you in uk ? 
     Best wishes 

Chrissie xx

• Hi Tricia, 

sorry you have found yourself here

I was diagnosed at the beginning of October 21 and didn’t start treatment till the following February 22, there is a lot of waiting around, it seems even more so now a days with the state of the NHS.

I know how I felt after being diagnosed Locally advance T4 N1, and all I wanted to do was start treatment to get rid of the cancer growing inside me. 

I wish you well as best as possible on your journey and that you don’t have to wait to long.

Laura x x

• Thank you Chrissie. It really helps to know it's not just me who's experienced the long wait.  I think I  automatically thought if Cancer was detected things would move really quickly after that. I hope you start your treatment soon xx

• Thank you Laura. it really helps to hear other peoples experience of treatment times. I hope you're fully recovered now? xx

• Hello Tricia, and a warm welcome to the forum although I am so sorry to hear of your diagnosis.  You have come to the right place as we have all been through it and can share lots of tips and coping strategies as you go through the next few months.

The waiting around can be so stressful in the early days; even at hospitals which are on top of the delays things seem to move so slowly.  At your treating hospital, the multi-disciplinary team (MDT) have weekly meetings, each case is discussed and they need all the information from the scans and biopsies before they can formulate a treatment plan.  However, once it all falls into place and treatment starts, you will feel a lot more in control than you do at the moment.  It is such a lot to deal with and I totally understand your frustration. 

I am pleased the MacMillan nurses are supporting you.  We are always here too, should you need to discuss anything at all, or if you just need some commiseration about this awful cancer.

I hope the next few weeks pass quickly for you. 

Irene xx