Newly Diagnosed Awaiting Treatment

• 6 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself and look for some support. I found out back in October I had Anal Cancer, only just seen a consultant in the last week and I'm due to have radio and chemotherapy for 5.5 weeks starting sometime in the new year, needless to say I'm terrified. Apart from bleeding from my bottom I have no pain, as anyone else experienced this? From talking to my consultant it sounds like I should be experiencing some pain? I've been told it's stage 3, and my tumour was 7cm on my last scan which was over 6 week ago

• Hello KezC

A warm welcome to the forum, although I am sorry you have had the need to find us.  We are all only too familiar with the awful feeling of disbelief and shock when getting a cancer diagnosis, and my heart goes out to you.  But once treatment starts, although tough, it is really for a short period and will lead, hopefully, to a cancer-free life.  The waiting around after diagnosis is utterly nerve-wracking but there is a lot going on behind the scenes where MDT (multi-disciplinary team) meetings are held to decide on the best course of treatment for you.  The next appointment will probably be a planning visit where the areas to be targeted are mapped out, and then very shortly afterwards, the main treatment will begin.

I didn't have any bleeding or pain whatsoever and the only thing that prompted my visit to my GP was skinny poos and feeling a bit tired.  But nothing that worried me and I was so shocked when a CT scan showed the tumour.  None of the oncologists I have seen have expressed any surprise that I wasn't experiencing any pain or symptoms and I don't know where I would be if that chance visit to a very diligent GP hadn't resulted in further tests.

We have lots of hints and strategies to share, so please come back and let us know when your treatment is due to start.  And in the meantime, we are here if you need support from others who know exactly what it is like.

Irene xx

• Hi  ,

Welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. The majority of us here have been through the treatment that you’re facing so you’re definitely in good company here. I was diagnosed pretty early stages but had no pain just an external polyp that bled a tiny bit twice after wiping following going to the loo! This took me to the GP where I expected to be told it was something & nothing instead I was put on the 2 week pathway to the local hospital & the lower colon team, the rest is history so they say. Personally I’m now 5 yrs 6 months post treatment & cancer free to date.

We’re here to support you however we can, if you’ve any questions please just ask away & we can share our experiences.

Nicola 

• Hi Kez,

So sorry you need to seek out our group, but for those of us who need it, it's the best group ever.

I had pain with my cancer- so much that it was backhandedly a good thing, as I could not accept the casual dismissal of doctor after doctor, and finally found one who listened to me, took a biopsy and bob's your uncle.

It IS scary, isn't it, this awful diagnosis? I'm glad that you're not having pain. The regimen is pretty hard on most (but not all) of us, and I hope your pain-free status holds up through and beyond treatment. But we mostly all count it worth it. 

Keep us posted!

Suz

• Hi KezC, I was diagnosed in Nov and start chemoradiotherapy tomorrow.  Terrified here too. I've been in quite a bit of pain tho. Trying to stay positive here (but not feeling it all the time at all) but I guess that's to be expected.  Hopefully you will hear shortly a date to start your course of treatment.  

• Hi  , I’d like to offer you a warm welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. Just want to wish you the very best of luck for your start of treatment tomorrow, it really is the worst day because even though you’re in possession of all the details of the regime you’re facing for me the fear of not knowing what it would actually be like was really overwhelming. Once that first day is over it’ll soon become very routine visiting the hospital each day for your treatment. Keep us up to speed how you’re getting on. 

Nicola 

• Hi KezC welcome to our group. I had bleeding occasionally but no pain. I did notice my stools were thinner and just had a slight ache in my buttocks but put that down to lots of walking I did. Good luck with the start of your treatment and if your oncologist makes comments it might be worth asking him to clarify what he means as this cancer is pretty rare and not all of them experience what symptoms we go through