Newly diagnosed

• 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

So glad I’ve found this group. 6 weeks ago I attended the doctor with a wee lump now I have this big disgusting squamous cell carcinoma leaking mucus and blood. Apparently in lymph nodes will hopefully get results of pet scan tomorrow. Have no control of bowel movements and bladder is also affected. Have no appointments lined up yet re treatment 

• Hello Peaky

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I am sure that you would rather not be here, however, you have come to the right place where just about everyone has gone through or is going through your experience.  We all have lots of coping strategies we are happy to share with you, and once your treatment plan is in place you will feel a lot more in control.

What normally happens is that when the results of all the scans and investigations are in there is an MDT (multi-disciplinary team) meeting and based on all the information they have gathered, they plan the best treatment for you.  After that things start moving quite quickly, but I understand how hard the waiting is, especially if your tumour is affecting your bowel and bladder.

I won't flood you with information yet, but please come back and let us know how things are going.  We are always here to offer support if you need it.  I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Irene xx

• Hi  ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community & to our little corner although I’m really sorry that you’ve had the need to find us.

The waiting is awful! Once you’ve had your diagnosis you just want to get on & do whatever needs doing to rid you of this awful disease don’t you? Like Irene has said once all of your results are in, fingers & toes crossed for tomorrow, then your Dr’s will hold an MDT meeting & decide the best course of treatment for your specific case. Hopefully once that decision is made & put to you then things will speed up somewhat. 

Are your Dr’s aware of how badly this is affecting your bowel & bladder function? If so hopefully they’ll move quickly as you must be pretty distressing for you.

One thing is for sure we all understand what you’re going through as we’ve all been there too! So please come back with any questions you may have & let us know how you’re getting on. 

Nicola 

• Wow, Peaky, what a punch in the face this must feel! I moan a lot about the long, winding, infuriating road to my diagnosis, but the whirlwind speed of your situation is a whole 'nother level of horror!

Is your medical team addressing your sudden onset of incontinence? That adds yet another layer of pressure to you!

Praying hard that you get fast action starting tomorrow with your results. You did good by finding this community. Keep us posted!

Hugs

Suz