Newly Diagnosed

• 9 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi guys, I’ve just been newly diagnosed with Squamous Carcinoma of the Rectum. It’s a bit of a whirlwind at the moment. Had Biopsies, CAT scan, MRI with a PET scan scheduled for later in the week. Haven’t met with my consultant as yet, that’s scheduled for tomorrow. Very apprehensive. 

• Good morning Flyguy I just wanted to welcome you to the group. Reading your blog I did wonder if you have been diagnosed with rectal or anal cancer which I believe are different when it comes to treatments. I hope all goes well with your appointment today and let us know how it went.

• Hi Flyguy

Sorry that you find yourself here, following your diagnosis, but well done you on finding the group so early . You will find lots of support and advice here, from others who are going through, or have been through the same thing.  It’s understandable that you are apprehensive but hopefully after meeting the consultant today, you will have more of an idea of a treatment plan , although they will probably wait until all the results are in to decide on a definite course. Maybe write down any questions you have as it can be a bit overwhelming and I know my mind goes blank at appointments! 
    I hope your meeting goes as well as it can and do let us know how you get on . 

• Hi  ,

Firstly I’d like to offer you a warm welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m really sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

It all becomes a bit of a whirlwind following your diagnosis doesn’t it? You have appointments coming from every direction! It’s good that your appointment with your consultant is today so you’ll hopefully have an idea of a treatment plan moving forward.

As   has mentioned the treatment plans for anal cancer & rectal cancer can be quite different, if it’s a diagnosis of anal cancer you’ve received then you’re in the right place & although not medically trained we have lots of advice & tips on getting through diagnosis, treatment & beyond as we’ve all been there. If your diagnosis is for rectal cancer then you may find more relevant information over on our Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum . 

Regardless of your diagnosis please let us know how your meeting goes today &  has given some really useful advice, write down any questions you have regarding your diagnosis because at these early meetings you’re bombarded with an awful lot of information & I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve come out of an appointment with questions I meant to ask but forgot!

I hope all goes well today.

Nicola 

• Hi Jaycee12. Thank you so much for reaching out. It’s definitely Anal Cancer! I learned today that it has been caught early and has not metastasised. I won’t need surgery and will be treated with Chemo and radiotherapy.  

• Hi Elf66, thank you for the encouragement. I learned so much more today. I have a SCC which will not require surgery. The tumour hasn’t metastasised and will be treated with Chemo and radiotherapy. Prognosis way better than I hoped for. 

• Hi Nicola, many thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I’m definitely in the right place, met today with my consultant who has confirmed SCC of the anus. Good news is that it’s been caught early and prognosis is good. I won’t need surgery but will undergo Chemo and radiotherapy. PET scan scheduled for tomorrow. 

• Hi Fly!

I see my initial question about bowel or anal has been answered. Sorry you need to be here, with all of us who are steeling ourselves to say 'anal' forever when we're talking with our medical professionals but at least we're around to do it!

You will be too. It's a tough regimen, but yours is caught early and that's the best possible scenario for getting through it and out the other side and on to better things.

This group has been the best. I only wish that I had found it while I was undergoing treatment. But better late than never.

Hang with us! We got you!

Hugs

Suz

• Hello Flyguy

Welcome to the forum.  I am pleased you have found us early on in your diagnosis, this is such a friendly group and we have lots of tips to help during treatment.  You must be feeling so relieved to find out that that the cancer is in the early stages and I am sure you won't feel quite so apprehensive once you have a treatment plan.  There is a lot of waiting around in the very early days, lots of appointments, scans, planning meetings (this is a meeting of the multi-disciplinary team in charge of your care, you don't need to go to these) and these are all to make sure that you get the best treatment tailor-made for you.

Your head must be spinning at the moment, so please come back when you have everything fixed; we talk about absolutely everything here and I couldn't have done without the forum support which is ongoing.

Irene xx

• If there is such a thing as good news having just received a cancer diagnosis then this is it! An early diagnosis of anal cancer with a plan of chemoradiotherapy all points towards a really good prognosis. Please don’t hesitate to ask if you’ve any questions that you think we may be able to help you with, we’re here to support you however we can. 

Nicola