Hi

• 9 replies
  • 58 subscribers

I have just been diagnosed and I am trying to connect with others who have the same thing 

• Hello Bladechello, have you been diagnosed with anal cancer? There's loads of support with any questions you want to ask and answers from people who've been where you are at the moment. Let us know what's going on with you and we'll all try to help ad give you as much support as we can. Bee X

• Hi  ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

The majority of us here have been diagnosed with anal cancer of various stages, some are at the beginning of their journey as you are, some are in treatment & others are at the recovery stage, the odd one or two have hung around longer to offer support to others, personally I was diagnosed February 2018, I’ve just finished my 5 years surveillance & have just been declared cancer free! 

One thing for sure is that we all understand the complete devastation that this diagnosis brings, it feels as though your world has come to a screeching halt & is spiralling out of control all at the same time doesn’t it?

We’ve got lots of experience of this diagnosis & the treatment involved & are here to support you however we can. This forum was literally my lifeline when I received my diagnosis & will never be able to repay the people that supported me & helped me get through one of the most frightening times of my life. 

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have & we’ll do our best to answer them, the nature of this diagnosis means that any questions we may have are usually of a pretty personal nature but we’re an open minded bunch & no subject is taboo, we’re frequently talking about our bottoms, lady parts & toilet habits!! 

Nicola 

• Thanks jester as much as that is usually the case I have had a horrible life one you would only expect to see on nspcc ads so my mindset is I have cancer I just need to get on with it. My own family don't care my partner is only one supporting me if you don't mind me asking which hospital were you in. Im at Leeds and yes thought it was skin at first but now saying it's that as isolated in that particular area. I have CT scan tomorrow then on 10th my first treatment date all I know is doing radiotherapy and chemotherapy have to go everyday for 5 and a half weeks then 5yrs surveillance my reel name is Liz nice to meet you bee. Xx

• Hello Liz, I'm glad to see that Nicola has replied to you and said all the things that we would all say. I'm in Southern England, so very a very different area from you. I had one intravenous chemo then the same timescale as you for the rest. I finished treatment on 2nd January this year. Good luck with your CT scan and with the treatment starting on the 10th. Keep us all informed on here how you'r getting on - we all care about eachother and support eachother, so perhaps a new experience for you. Bee. X

• Hi again Liz ( ),

I’m sorry to hear you’ve not had the best life growing up, I spent a few years involved in the care of young children & every child deserves a good childhood. I am pleased that you have the support of your partner now though. 

I was treated at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle & they provided care during & after my treatment that was second to none in my opinion, I was very well looked after. One bit of advice I would give is be open & honest with your treating team, don’t try to be brave, any side effects you’re experiencing once in treatment tell them as there’s a multitude of lotions & potions that can be prescribed. 

My treatment was an IV infusion of mitomycin (chemo) on day 1 of radiotherapy then capecitabine tablets (chemo) twice a day thereafter, both chemo & radiotherapy were Monday-Friday with weekends off all treatment.

Just want to wish you the best of luck with your CT scan & the start of your treatment. Keep in touch & let us know if you need support. 

Nicola 

• That's the same thing I will be having Nicky thanks bee I will keep you all updated 

• Hi there!

I'm so sorry about this miserable cancer, but very glad that you've found us and your start date is set and you're readying yourself for the journey. It's a tough one, for sure, but many of us can testify that it's worth it. So glad you have a supportive partner- that means the world.

Hugs

Suz

• Hello Liz

Another welcome to the forum, you have certainly come to the right place, most of us on here have had or are going through treatment for anal cancer and know only too well what you are going through right now.

I am so sorry to hear about your background and it is wonderful that you have a supportive partner.  But most importantly, please remember that there is no expectation here for you to put on a brave face.  This is such a supportive place and the first time I found it I stayed up half the night reading every single post and reply and felt as if I had come home to a virtual family who would be there to provide a listening ear.  Things were already tough for me and it was so refreshing that no one turned a hair at the most graphic descriptions of our most basic bodily functions, it is all in a normal day's discussion on the forum!

So if you need information, advice or just a place to have a rant, know we are all here.

Irene xx