Hello, I am new here.

• 8 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hello all, I am new to this group and have received the diagnosis today.  I want to be positive but find that very difficult at the moment. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

I am an older lady, with grandchildren and 2 children myself, although they are very much grown up!

I am floundering a bit so any positive vibes I will be so grateful for

• Many thanks
    1. Hi Diane52 I’m 59 years old and we have 3 children and six grandchildren.I got diagnosed in June it is scary for sure I went through all different emotions which is natural apparently. Do what you enjoy to help you relax which is easier said than done sometimes. Everyone on here is lovely giving really good advice and support! I start my treatment on  7/11/22 fir 7 and half weeks. So going to put my Christmas decorations up early the weekend before, people are going to think I’m nuts lol I do LOVE Christmas, it is my favourite time of the year but I’ve been advised I probably won’t have the energy once treatment commences. Others will come on with really good ideas for you. Take care x 
  • Hi Diane, it really rocks you off your center, doesn't it? I think it was a couple of weeks before it really sunk in for me. I'm so glad you found this forum so eary on your journey. I thihk you'll find it SO helpful. 

I'm 63, 2 grown kids and 1 grandkid. Lots of critters. Lots to live for.

We're so lucky that, having had crappy luck (pardon the awful pun) in contracting this awful disease, medical science has progressed to the point that most of us are going to look back on it as an unpleasant past event that we shook off and moved on from.

Do you have any particular concerns at this point? What plan of treatment have your doctors discussed with you?

Suz

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us. 

I was 52 when I was diagnosed & remember all too well the whole array of emotions I went through that day, the one at the forefront being fear. I remember thinking did the Dr really just tell me I have cancer? But here I am 4.5 years on living my life as I did before (with a couple of tweaks) & NED (no evidence of disease) to date.… There is definitely life after a cancer diagnosis. If you click on my username you can read a little more about my journey there. 

You’re in the worst possible place at the moment, you’ve had this diagnosis dropped on you from what feels like a great height & will be facing the subsequent scans, tests, treatment planning etc., & to be honest it turns into somewhat of a whirlwind, this was definitely the case for me. But it’s all a means to an end, someone said to me very soon after my diagnosis to keep my eye on the prize, I tried to keep this in the forefront of my mind, it wasn’t easy sometimes but I had to believe I could get through this & I’m here to tell the tale. 

There are lots of us here that have been diagnosed with all different stages of anal cancer & have been through the treatment with positive  outcomes. If you have any questions then please just ask we’re a friendly bunch & have helped & supported each other through diagnosis, treatment & beyond. I don’t know what I would have done without the wonderful people that were here when I was diagnosed, this forum was literally a lifeline for me. 

Nicola 

• The early days are traumatic for most people, I was walking around in total shock and disbelief and my husband had to do all the liaising with the hospital team about appointments and the like.  You may not think it now but you do get used to the news and I found this site so helpful because other members knew exactly what I was going through.  Anything and everything can be discussed on here, nothing is off-limits so please share your worries.  When you know your treatment plan you will probably have a lot more questions.  What is especially warming is that there are quite a few people on here who have long since been given the all-clear but who have stayed around to help others on this path.     

It is all so much to take in in the early days, know that we are all here to support you.

Irene xx

• Hell Dianne52, welcome to our group. When I was first diagnosed with anal cancer I googled away to try and find out why it happened and how much longer I had to live! I so wish I had found this site much earlier as a lot of information on the internet is downright scary, shame mongering and just not correct. As you have been diagnosed you will soon be given a start date for treatment and procedures to place three little tattoos, one on the pubic bone and one on each hip ready to have your radiotherapy. I will say treatment will be down to stage of the cancer and where the tumour is and if you are having surgery first. You can ask us anything on here for tips on what helped with the pain during treatment. The one thing I would recommend is a sitz bath you can place on top of your toilet and use for soaking sore skin or even passing bowel movements when things can become quite uncomfortable for some. We are all different in pain strategies and some can suffer skin soreness more than others. What’s good about this site is that what symptoms you are having you can share and you can guarantee someone else has gone through it. I had a brilliant medical team who were always there for me if I was suffering. Side effects are usually gradual but again we are all different and learn to take each day as it comes. I am sixteen months post treatment and apart from some IBS issues I am doing great. I am not sore at all and back on the bike and go to the gym twice a week and pilates and walk 5k most days. It took me a year to start getting my strength back. Take care

• Hello Diane52,

I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Receiving a cancer diagnosis is devastating. This is a safe space to share whatever you want. You have already received some good advice from other members, so I'll just mention the importance of having a good support team consisting of family and health professionals. My social worker has been so helpful in helping me process all of this. I also worked with an art therapist and spiritual care advisor, both so helpful as well. Please let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns. Keeping you in my thoughts!

Hopie

• Hi Suz, yes it's all a bit confusing and a bit of a struggle but I know I will look back and say well that's another bridge of life crossed! I am particularly struggling with sore skin, leaking faeces, general pain.  I really don't mean to moan but sometimes it's just too much to bear. I feel quite alone with all of this particularly as my best friend passed last year from lung cancer. Plan is for radiochemotherapy as I understand it  with the possibility of a stoma at the end.  Confusion reigns in my mind as I feel that I have been given this information but left to deal with the repercussions alone.

Sorry to be a misery

Di

• Hi - I know how you feel as I lost my husband two years ago to Motor Neurone Disease and I felt that being diagnosed with cancer was another kick in the teeth.  However, I finished my chemoradiation in June and got the 'all clear' last week. I haven't had to have surgery, so maybe you won't. Best thing is to take it a day at a time. It's tough but worth it. All the best xxx