Stoma surgery

• 6 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hello group, im new to the site but in such a bad way mentally I needed to speak. Hardly sleeping and can't stop worrying. I'm a 63 year old male.

My anal chemoradiation Aug/Sept last year has not been successful although I was given positive feedback as recently as Feb, my 6 month scan in March shows the cancers still there. A recent biopsy has confirmed the bad news. Also two weeks ago I had a right lung procedure to remove two problematic lessons for biopsy . Still waiting for the results.

Been told that I'll be given a permanent stoma at a later date. I'm absolutely devastated.  To be honest I'm scared about the thought. 

My wife's an God send but even so at times I feel so lonely.

Thanks Cade

• Hi Cade, is it the stoma that's worrying you (obv I know your worrying about progression) 

I'm 45, I had a stoma in January. When I told my 19 year old son, his response was, I'd rather die than have a stoma! Now he's seen how easy it actually is, he's changed his attitude. It has had such a positive impact on my symptoms, it's stopped most of the pain and I'm no longer anaemic. I love my little Bessie, she's my friend not my enemy. (You have to name them btw haha) Please don't be afraid, most of the time, I totally forget I have a stoma. Plus, if someone annoys you, discretely burp your bag, they'll soon back off hehe 

• Hi Cade,

I was diagnosed with advanced Stage 4 anal cancer last November, by December I was told I had to have a colostomy they said I would have it for at least a year, I was so terrified I didn’t want one, anyway the first week in hospital, I was so emotional, couldn’t bring myself to touch Or look at it, when they told I couldn’t go home until iv learnt to look after it, I just sucked it up got  on with it and went home.

my husband was so supportive and help me but he had to ho back to work so was left to deal with it myself, as the days went by I got use to her and 5 months down the line dirty Girty is just part of me now, I never thought I’d say it but it was the best thing that happened especially going through the radiotherapy, I’m sure that’s things would have been a lot worse for me had I not had her.

im just waiting on my first MRI scan after treatment, I asked the oncologist what happens if cancer is still there he said we wait a further 3 months I said what happens if it’s still there he said you would have to have a resection which means a stoma from the rest of my life.

although Im not keen on that idea but if it saves my life then so be it, but also if I don’t need a stoma anymore I’m still gonna be anxious cos iv always had trouble with my bowels, and worried that it will go back to how I was.

I’m not sure what stoma you will have colostomy or Ileostomy but I know colostomy’s are better and once you get the hang of it it’s no problem, good luck with it all x x

• Hi Dizzy, your situation sounds very similar to mine. Are you doing anything holistically alongside your treatment? I've had a consultation with a naturopath and it's really boosted my hope again xx
  • Hi Niccisam. Thanks for contacting me, your message is so reassuring at this difficult time.

I love your humour, right up my street.

Best wishes to you 

Cade

• Hi Dizzy1968, great to hear from you. Found your words so reassuring, it's given me a bit of anxiety relief, just what I needed today.

Hope you're OK and wishing you all the best going forward . Thanks again Cade

• Hi ,

Firstly I’d like to welcome you to our little corner of the Macmillan online community although I’m well aware it’s the club that nobody wants to join! 

I'm so sorry that you’ve received the news that your treatment wasn’t successful. I hope that the lung biopsy results bring better news for you. You’ve received some great, encouraging feedback already regarding the stoma surgery you’re facing & I hope this has put your mind at rest a little. 

Receiving a cancer diagnosis can leave you feeling very alone. As supportive as family members & friends are there’s nothing quite like speaking to others that are going through/have been through what you’re going through is there? If it makes any sense I didn’t feel the need to explain how or why I was feeling the way I was here, it’s like the other people here already immediately understood which in itself was a huge relief. I don’t know how I would have coped if it weren’t for this forum when I was diagnosed back in 2018. So please don’t ever hesitate to come here if you feel you need some support or if you just need a listening ear. We’re always here when you need us.

Nicola