Hi, new here

• 14 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all,

I find myself in the unenviable position of confirmed anal cancer  as of the test results last week after my GP misdiagnosed me with haemorrhoids for the last 5 months or so(I'm not sure my oncologist said what stage but I've been cleared for PLATO 5 so I'm guessing it's more advanced -  I should probably ask!). So I'd like to say hi, I've lurked a little reading through all your experiences which helped me be so much more prepared for my first meeting, so thank you! I'd really love to hear from anyone who had the menopause triggered for them by treatment. I'm 43, but lost both my parents to cancer, and don't have much family beyond my younger sister, so the menopause thing was one thing I wasn't expecting and have no clue what is potentially in store for me beyond the list of things the oncology team walked me through and don't really have anyone in my direct support group who can give me their experiences.

Looking forward to being able to chat with folks who know what this is like, though.

Sam

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m really sorry that you’ve had the need to find us, I’m also so sorry that you’ve lost both of your parents to this terrible disease. 

It’s unfortunately still way too commonplace for a misdiagnosis of haemorrhoids to take place prior to being diagnosed with anal cancer & this has got to change! GP’s need making aware that this is a real possibility with a set of presenting symptoms & as much as I understand not every case of possible haemorrhoids can’t be referred to a colorectal surgeon I’m sure if symptoms persist following initial treatment then this can be addressed better! I spoke to my oncologist a couple of years ago about this & he (knowing I volunteer with Macmillan) said that everyone should expect an internal examination & if one isn’t offered then ask for one as even with small tumours they will be apparent with an DRE (digital rectal examination). 

Personally I was already in the throws of menopause when I started my treatment, (I was also in the PLATO trial ACT 2 for me though) but the radiotherapy seemed to put payed to the whole array of menopausal symptoms I’d been suffering & apart from the odd hot flash I no longer have any symptoms at all now. 

Please just ask if you have any questions at all, we’re all at different stages of diagnosis, treatment, recovery & beyond so there’s lots of experience here, we’re full of hints & tips on getting through treatment & recovery. 

Nicola

• Thank you Nicola! I wish I'd even known it was something to look for (they tested me for bowel cancer very early on when I first saw physical symptoms and it came back clear), I'm usualy super proactive about chasing GPs for 2nd opinions if I needed to, and had an examination early on. I should have been seen by the NHS back in Feb at the latest but they're understandably swamped at the moment for testing (especially when they think it's something as benign as heamorrhoids) but it wasn't until I got an enlarged lymph node that I realised I might be looking at the two being linked. Frustrating that it took so long to get diagnosed, but thankfully a work health insurance policy allowed me to be seen privately and here we are, otherwise I'd still be thinking I had pretty awful aeamorrhoids!

Great to know you actually had an improvement on your menopause symptoms, that helps give me some kind of range at least, though I'm very much for seeing how treatment goes week to week for me personally.

• Obviously during pelvic radiotherapy everything gets at least a little fallout & I this involves our ovaries too, therefore those that haven’t yet entered into menopause will probably experience some symptoms during/post treatment but from what I understand these are pretty short lived, it kind of speeds everything up! 

Treatment although it has some similarities for us all is a very individual journey so it’s great that you have the foresight to take it as it comes, just go day by day, the side effects of the radiotherapy especially build very gradually & there are lotions & potions that your treating team will provide you with. 

I hope treatment gets underway for you soon.

Nicola 

• Hi  I just wanted to echo ’s welcome and extend my sympathies on the loss of both your parents. You will probably find that pelvic radiotherapy will push you into menopause. I was peri-menopausal for a few years prior to treatment and was told there was about an 80-85% chance my ovaries would be ‘switched off’ during treatment. Treatment finished over 2 and a half years ago but I didn’t feel my menopausal symptoms worsened either during treatment or just after. I’d say it was roughly a year or more after treatment that they ramped up to include joint pain and hot flushes. About 3 months ago I’d had enough of the main symptoms of brain fog, exhaustion,joint aches and vaginal dryness and went on period free combined HRT.   I hope your treatment plan is sorted as soon as possible and please ask if you have any more questions. Bev. 

• Thank you Nikki, treatment is due to start end of May, so I'm just gathering what info I can to help me before I start too. Appreciate the warm welcome!

• Thanks Bev. Appreciate the warm welcome! If nothing else, the one up side to losing both parents was the diagnosis didn't seem anywhere as frightening as it might have been, especially as my father had colon cancer, so I at least have *some* knowledge of the fun stuff caused by treatment.  it's good to know the symptoms seem to not come on immediately (lord knows radiation will be more than enough!) though I've had a few great suggestions as to where to look for more specifical help and advice if menopause symptoms do cause problems. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

• Hi Whalergirl - I think we'll be on much the same journey, except I'm 69. Following the MRI, CT and PET scan, I saw the oncologist yesterday and was diagnosed with squamos cell carcinoma. I have to have a blood test soon, and treatment will start in 3-4 weeks. They said it hasn't spread, but saw a small spot on my lung, which they think is benign but will keep an eye on. Best of luck x

• Hi , I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis although it’s reassuring news that it hasn’t spread. I too had a ‘nodule’ on my lung which they didn’t actually tell me about until a later scan. I was then told ‘good news the nodule hasn’t changed’(!) With hindsight I’m glad I wasn’t told at the time of diagnosis as I would only have needlessly worried. My Oncologist told me ‘you don’t get to your age (48 at the time) without various anomalies cropping up on scans’.  There were also anomalies with a kidney and a rib, both of which remained unchanged on future scans.  Glad to hear you’ll be starting treatment soon. Let us know if you have anything you want to ask along the way. Bev. 

• Hey Puddy, sorry to hear you have to keep an eye on the lungs, will keep everything crossed for you that it stays just like that!  If you want someone to vent to who's going through it at the same time, I'd be more than happy to lend an ear.

• Hi Sam, sorry you have to be here. I am also 43 and 4 weeks out of treatment now. So far the only thing I have are hot sweats through the night, I'm up through the night alot peeing but that's probably radiation damage. I haven't noticed any other syptoms except crying at random things however my oncolgistvsaid everything you've been through the last 6 months would make anyone cry. Hope everything goes well. Lori