Weakness in pelvic muscles after 5400rads radiation therapy

• 3 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to this group. I’m a retired physician and live in Las Vegas, NV, USA. I was diagnosed with stage 4 anal cancer in 10/21 and completed chemo with 5FU and cisplat and radiation therapy as above 2/4/22. I’m exercising, mainly by walking 1-2times daily, but it’s definitely slow going. I’m also now on Opdivo, an immune stimulant by infusion which activates my T cells to kill any errant cancer cells. It’s very expensive, but Medicare insurance pays for it. It’s caused most of my hair to fall out. My next PET scans are scheduled for May 2022 so I don’t know if the cancer is gone yet. 
I do have strong family support as well as friends. My significant other is a working physician and he has stood by me from diagnosis to present. He has been understanding about sexual issues which we are working on. 
Right now I’d like to know how others are managing exercise after pelvic irradiation.  Being so weak is awful!

1. Hi there. I finished my course of chemo/radiotherapy for anal cancer on 22/12/21. Today I managed a 9k run. ( albeit very slowly). I could barely walk 100 yds between Christmas and New Year and it has taken a while to build up both my stamina and strength . But I have got there with the help of a personal trainer who has given me conditioning exercises. I still have quite a bit of hip pain, and things seize up if I don’t move, but SLOWLY building the exercise has really helped, along with lots of stretches. So I would say if you only finished treatment on 2/4/22 it is early days yet, be kind to yourself and be patient. 
      Also, have you had your bloods checked lately ( physician heal thyself! ) as if you are anaemic etc post treatment that won’t help. I needed B12 and D3 supplements as well as iron . 
      Hope that helps.
  • Hey Dr Socks 

Well done on finishing treatment.  Feeling weak is awful but you will slowly get back to your old self and as Pita has shown it’s possible to build up to running again.    The hip pain can be sore and makes you feel old but it does get better.   Although my own hip pain did fully improve but has seemed to come back 2yrs later on one side.     

As for the sexual issues it’s great your partner is being so understanding this really does help. If you look at my post about Fentons procedure, you will see there is hope for this as well. I would recommend a physio if offered and again just take it slow and give your body chance to heal.  

take care xx

• Hi, sorry this is late but I have just come across your post.

It's great that you have managed to start exercising but I would suggest you walk as far as you are comfortable with, and as far as you enjoy. You have only just finished a pretty harsh course of treatment so please be gentle on yourself. I completed my treatment at Christmas and am only now feeling a bit more like my old self, and although I walk our dogs each day, I am taking any more advanced exercise very slowly.

Your body has had a real battering and needs time to heal, it is natural you will feel weak and trying to push things too hard will just make you feel worse. Take it easy, and allow yourself time to recover slowly and properly. Consider other aspects of exercise, like flexibility and strength training which are just as important, and perhaps do some yoga or meditation. Just allow yourself time to get better and recover from the damage done.

Most of all, be kind to yourself. You will feel much better in a few weeks without stressing it or over exerting yourself.