Weird rash on chest

• 3 replies
  • 57 subscribers

This is really not a big issue like many things raised here are, and searching the site, rashes do not seem common, so probably nothing much I can do...

But just in case, and possibly for future reference, I'll give some details. 

I got a rash between my breasts 2 weeks post-treatment, which is still a problem 3 weeks later. (I know there is a medication beginning with C (Cetuximab?) that is linked to rashes, but that is not one I am using.

I initially thought it was heat rash (very humid summer weather here), but it didn't go away and started spreading. It's moved up and across my upper chest, with sore, red, raised, grazed areas, now moving up my neck.

I thought it might be due to caring for some rabbits. I've tried taking antihistamines, kept away from the rabbits, used moisturizers and aqueous Calamine cream (non-drying), but no obvious improvement. The original site is now somewhat healed, but still intermittently very itchy, and with sore spots. (I am someone who usually has very good skin, so this is quite unusual). My forearms are also quite itchy, but not getting the redness and distress that is on my chest.

I am having to dress in clothes that hide my chest and neck without being heavy or hot - tricky!

Any thoughts welcome!

• Hi ,

Thats strange because for a while after I’d finished my treatment I had some weird skin flare ups whereas I never usually ever suffer with any skin complaints other than the usual slight dryness during winter months. I asked my oncologist could this be anything to do with my treatment but he said no he wasn’t aware that this could be connected! I had quite a big patch of red, itchy, inflamed skin under my arm, this came & went over a period of weeks but then didn’t ever come back again although it did happen under the other arm too. Also I started getting a reaction to my watch strap, this had never happened prior to treatment but same watch strap! I use all natural skin products that don’t contain any nasties or artificial perfumes that could have caused these so I’m convinced that it was something to do with either the treatment or maybe low immunity. My skin is ok & back to normal now. Hope that helps a little. 

Nicola 

• There is a little mite called cheyletiella which can live on rabbits and will pass to people, particularly those who are immune suppressed, they are microscopic so you won’t see them on the bunnies, but I wouldn’t rule it out as a cause of your itchiness x

• Oh, that's really interesting! We actually think one of the rabbits may have mites, as he's got some almost bald patches.... possibly picked up from the hay we brought in. We've just treated them for mites, so will see if my reactions settle down now!?!?! Thanks so much for the thought Pita!