I'm New here and want to say hello

• 1 reply
  • 51 subscribers

I've had cancer 2 times before. Hodgkins lymphoma 20 years ago and had a radical hysterectomy 3 years ago for cancer. Now I have a large polyp for the second time growing in my rectom. I've been told the rectom must be removed because the polyp is in second stage moving towards cancer. I'm waiting for the biopsy results. I'm trying to distract myself until I know for sure. Not been given anyone to speak to about it. Just wondering if anyone else has the same experience. 

• Hi 

Firstly I’d like to welcome you to the Macmillan online community although I’m sorry that you’ve had the need to find us.

You’ve certainly not had an easy time of things having been diagnosed with 2 different cancers prior to this one! Life really doesn’t seem fair sometimes does it?

From what I understand the surgery you’ve mentioned is possibly APR surgery? In the case of Anal cancer this is usually only performed on either advanced or particularly stubborn cancers where chemoradiotherapy hasn’t worked. You’ve already said you’re awaiting biopsy results so you’ll not know exactly what you’re dealing with yet & although they know you best it feels like your Dr’s are jumping the gun a bit talking about this surgery before you have a firm diagnosis. Is this your oncologist or colorectal surgeon that has spoken to you about the surgery? A large portion of Anal cancers are Squamous Cell Carcinomas & are treated with chemoradiotherapy or local resection as first line treatment but if the diagnosis is rectal cancer treatment can take a different route. If you’re unfortunate enough to receive a diagnosis of cancer from your biopsy results & it turns out to be rectal rather than anal cancer we also have a support group for that too, if you follow this link it will take you directly there & you can join that group also the way you did here Bowel (colon and rectal) cancer forum

Receiving news like this can make you feel so isolated, like everyone else is just getting on with life & you’re dealing with this awful news but please don’t feel alone or that you have nobody to talk to, Macmillan are great at offering support whether that be through the online community or the helpline where you can ring anytime if you feel the need to physically speak with someone. You’re doing exactly the right thing in trying to distract yourself, as you well know from your previous experience there’s nothing worse than waiting for results it can seem like a lifetime! Please let us know when you get your results, we’ll be here when you need us. 

Nicola