GP Delays in Diagnosing Anal Cancer

• 7 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi All,

At my oncology appointment last week I raised the issue of why there is so much delay with GP's referring patients who present with the signs of anal cancer. My doctor said that whilst he understood the symptoms to some extent  mirror haemorrhoids, he could not understand why repeat visits from a patient would not trigger a 14 day referral on the 14 day cancer pathway. He said that for a referral on this pathway, certain boxes would be ticked, eg pain, bleeding, itching.  Therefore, he was uncertain why the GP's were not making more referrals. He also said that this was an issue he encountered too when patients were referred to him from their GP's leading to later diagnosis and staging.

I told him that it was an issue that we see a lot of the time in this group and asked what could be done to heighten GP's awareness of the symptoms of anal cancer and the need for an early referral. He said that he would contact the regional co-ordinator for GP training and see what  learning events can be offered to GP's about this issue. Whilst this may only mean further training for GP's  in my region, it's a start. If anyone else feels able to raise this with their hospital that would be helpful so additional training could be provided in other areas of the UK too.

Bev 

• Well done you. It certainly needs addressing and I will have a word with my oncologist and my doctors practice to see if more can be done. Good luck 

•  Excellent work Bev, well done.  It’s not something I need to do with my GP, as it was her that pushed a reluctant me to accept a referral  x  toni

• That’s fantastic Bev (), well done, it’s definitely an issue that needs addressing. My GP was a young locum at our practice at the time of my referral & I can’t thank her enough for being so cautious, the thought scares me even now that if I’d seen somebody else I may not be in the position I am now. I will raise this with my oncologist in June as this will be the last time I see him. 

Nicola

• My GP experience was pretty awful. I had a telephone appointment in January. Said that I’d had an episode of such bad constipation and a loo full of blood that I’d nearly passed out. That my constipation had worsened and I had pain. The GP interrupted my 6 min allocated call to answer her door 3 times. In the end age just said you don’t have typical symptoms so it’s probably just piles from straining (even though I reiterated I don’t have them) she said oh well come back if you get symptoms. 

So I decided to do a private FIT and CRP test. Both were negative so I thought. Fine I’m just imagining things. 

End of March I could barely sit down or drive to collect the children. It was agony to have a bowel moment. I did notice mucus but no blood.  Anyway the pain became unbearable so I called the surgery (another telephone appointment) and a younger GP said please come in for an examination. So I went that afternoon. Only to find out it was the same GP from January! 

I arrived 10 mins early  for my appointment but couldn’t sit down because of the pain. She had a patient in with her. For a whole hour I stood there! I could hear them chatting about holidays!!!  I was practically in tears by the time I got in. But she was now in a rush! “Right you’re here for a rectal exam, hop up I’m running late”. 

She examined me and said all absolutely fine. I said no I’m sorry I can feel a lump in there. “No there isn’t, I’ve just examined you there’s no lump just a stool”. 

I said no I’m sorry I took picolax (bowel prep) in order to be clear for this exam. But she wouldn’t have it. She decided my symptoms were “vague” and the NHS wouldn’t see me. My symptoms were constant pressure, unbearable pain, mucous, extreme fatigue, I’d lost 7kg since Jan and I’d had diarrhoea unheard of for me and ribbon shaped stools. So she just said well what do you want me to do??? I said I have private hearth and I’d  like a second opinion. She never even once asked me to go through my symptoms with her. Nothing. 

so then (yes there’s  more!!) she says sorry my online referral system isn’t working.  So I suggested she’d better hand write me one then! This is what she wrote…

Dear colleague, please see this woman she has rectal pain. 

Literally  that was it. One line not even on headed paper It was only when I got home I realised she hadn’t even bothered to give me one name to contact or what type of consultant I needed to see! So stupidly I left it for 2 weeks before asking a medic friend (I was embarrassed) for help. I was seen within  a week and then the rollercoaster started. Although even he thought I probably had a fissure not cancer. 

I do feel that that GP needs educating. 4 months is a long time in the cancer world. I’m Stage III -  I have two young daughters 8 and 10. I feel badly let down. I should have gone to my usual GP but I was embarrassed as he’s a man. But oh my god he would have listened to me. I knew something was not right. 

• I’m so sorry  that you’ve had this experience with your GP! Unfortunately this isn’t unusual & something needs to change! Your experience is unacceptable & I know it’s probably the last thing on your mind at the moment but I think in your shoes I would be taking this further this GP needs educating not only about anal cancer but also in patient communication!! 

It’s rammed home to us at every opportunity about with cancer early diagnosis is key etc., etc., etc., & for the majority of us that means the first port of call is a visit to see our GP, then to receive a response such as you did how many people just go home & put up with the pain & discomfort until it becomes too late to treat? 

I get so upset & angry each time I read a story like yours, this just wouldn’t happen if you went with a suspect skin lesion or a breast lump so why are our symptoms fobbed off as something minor? I questioned my oncologist on this a week or so ago & he said that although our symptoms can be similar to symptoms of other issues such as fissures, haemorrhoids etc., the very least a GP should be doing is performing an internal examination, he went on to say that if an internal examination is performed thoroughly it should be obvious if a referral is required so I really don’t know what you GP was feeling! If she can’t tell the difference between a tumour & a stool I think further training is definitely required! 

I wish I knew of a way that the message could be put out to ALL GP’s that although this cancer is quite rare that numbers are sadly on the rise & it needs to be considered when people present with these symptoms. 

Nicola

• That is an absolutely dreadful experience and really should be followed up. However, I suspect you don’t have the energy or will at the moment. I would certainly send your account to the Practice Manager and Senior GP of the practice with your concerns and where you are now. 
    I hope all goes well now with your treatment and that it is successfully zapped away! Fingers crossedFingers crossed
    Ruth x