Newly diagnosed

• 10 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hello....

Waiting for a final diagnosis appointment next week. The waiting is terrible. My doctor discovered a 3 cm anal mass. I had surgery/biopsy on Tuesday. The surgeon is pretty confident it’s cancer. She said the mass was a pedunculated tumor (on a stalk). Has anyone had this kind of tumor? Also, is 3 cm considered large? Would that be stage 2, and if so is that stage curable. So worried! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• Hi  and welcome to the Group although I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Like you, the surgeon told me at my biopsy that he was sure it was cancer. I was a Stage 2, please click on my username for more information. Stage 2 is where the tumour measures more than 2 cm and hasn't spread to any  lymph nodes or other organs.  Most anal cancers are squamous cell cancers . The biopsy results will show what sort of cancer it is. Stage 2 survival rates for squamous cell A/C's  are very good. However, I would urge caution when looking for survival rates online as information can be outdated and the best person to discuss your personal survival rate with will be your own Oncologist.   If the biopsy confirms anal cancer then you will have scans after which all your results will go before health care professionals at a multi-disciplinary meeting (MDT). A treatment plan will be decided upon and you will be consulted in relation to that. The usual treatment in the UK for a stage 2 anal cancer is chemoradiotherapy. This involves  a one off short infusion of mitomycin administered intravenously on day one of treatment, followed by 8 tablets of capecitabine a day for 5.5 weeks, Monday to Friday. Radiotherapy is also carried out for 5.5 weeks Monday to Friday.  I know the waiting is truly terrible, after diagnosis and before treatment  was the worst part of my cancer experience. Once there's a proper plan in place and you have a start date this should hopefully  make you feel more in control of the situation. Please don't hesitate to come back on with any concerns or for reassurance. Bev  

• Ps I have not heard of a pedunculated tumour but I think this relates to the physiology of the tumour ie it is attached to a stalk (as you mention). It isn't a reference to the type of cancer.

• Hi there 

I’d just like to second ’s welcome to the online community although I’m obviously sorry you find yourself here.

You’re right the waiting for diagnosis & results etc., is a really difficult time, I hope you get your results soon, mine took exactly 7 days from biopsy. 

I was diagnosed pretty early (stage 1) my tumour was 2cm in diameter but only 2mm deep & was just beginning to invade the muscle & wasn’t detectable on either of my diagnostic scans. Mine presented as an external polyp almost like a large skin tag that suddenly bled a little & changed shape, following an examination my GP said it seemed to be growing inward & put me on the 2 week referral, the rest is history I suppose. Anal cancers seem to present differently with many people with lots going misdiagnosed as haemorrhoids for long periods of time leading to later staging so it’s good news that yours seems to be relatively small compared to some!

The good news is that although still pretty rare anal cancer does respond well to the treatment & as Bev has said once you have some more information & a treatment plan is in place you’ll regain a little more control. 

We’re always here if you have any questions or even if you just want to let off a little steam, we’ve all been where you are now & fully sympathise with how you’re feeling. 

Nicola

• Thank you so much for your reply. I am still in shock about everything. As I have read happens to many people,  I was told I had hemorrhoids for several months. I really didn’t have any other symptoms other than rectal bleeding so I thought the doctor was right. She wasn’t! I am seeing another doctor now. I am trying to stay positive but all I can think about is how much longer I have to live. I know that sounds terribly morbid but it is where my mind keeps going. I’m sure you’re right that once I have a diagnosis and a plan I will feel more in control. Thank you again!

• Nikki65... As I told 1in1500 I was unfortunately diagnosed with hemorrhoids for several months. Thanks for the support. I know I will need you all as I go through this journey. Thank you again!

•  hi & welcome!  It may feel a bit morbid but it’s totally natural & we’ve all been there.

If you’re feeling really brave, you can hang on to the ‘how long have I got’ thing, & use it to help treasure each day...‍♀️Rainbow

By the way, it’s not obligatory to be positive all the time, especially here.  Moaning & ranting & bad jokes always welcome.  Toni

• Hi again  I really cannot understand with so many people being diagnosed with AC after misdiagnosis of haemorrhoids why better & more thorough care isn’t being taken if a patient presents with haemorrhoids?? 

As I said before we’ve all experienced what you are experiencing now, unfortunately a cancer diagnosis is one of those things that brings you up close & personal with your own mortality, I remember wondering if I’d see my 2 girls next birthdays & imagined my youngest turning 18 on her own without me but here I am almost 3 years later as far as I know still disease free! 

This community was a fantastic source of support & information for me & I’m not sure how I would have coped without the lovely people here. I’m very grateful for this community.

Nicola 

• Thank you, Toni. I feel so welcomed already.

• Hi this really is the worst time. I found it very difficult to deal with but it did get easier. Please come back on whenever you need support. Bev x

• Thank you, Nicola. Your words of encouragement mean so much!