Ongoing side effects post-treatment

• 12 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hello ladies, in particular Em44, Irene and Ritbred. Sorry I've been out of touch for so long - I posted before I had my first post-treatment scan on 3rd April. This is going to be a very long post and I hope you will feel able to read it all. You will be familiar with the lack of support or help from the hospital and I'm adding an excerpt from a report I intend sending to CQC:

Somewhere around the 12th March I decided to join the Macmillan Cancer Support Group online and found the anal cancer online forum. This forum has been my lifeline ever since. The help and support I’ve had from people in the same position as me, has been so helpful, the ladies have given me tips on how to manage the swing between constipation and diarrhoea, my mental health and how to manage my life in general. It has literally been a life-saver. Some of the ladies on this forum are two years on, some less, but all say the same thing - the pain after the radiotherapy just goes on and on, generally for many months, some of them still experiencing pain passing stools two years on.  I’d like to know why my doctor was unaware of this - perhaps she ought to read some of the comments on this forum - she might learn a thing or two. 

I have to say that in general I have been let down, firstly because there was no aftercare of any sort, and when I have phoned and asked for help have been passed off with comments like, oh that’s normal, etc. These people have absolutely no idea of the agonising pain I have suffered and am still suffering if things get out of hand. 

I really can’t imagine that I am alone in this matter, or that I’ve been singled out for such cavalier treatment, or lack of treatment or help and sympathy - in my opinion the entire Oncology department needs an overhaul and some properly qualified staff put in the OAU who are capable of understanding what cancer patients go through, not just the pain, but the entire terrifying journey, all the unknown after effects which just keep rolling on.

26th March 2023 

Here we are on 12th May. Things have not improved at all, in fact the pain is worse. I’ll fill in what’s happened since 26th March.

On 3rd April I went for an MRI scan and had an appointment with my oncologist on 17th April to discuss the results of the scan. 

On 6th April we phoned the emergency line as I was in such pain I was crawling round on the floor, shouting. I spoke to a nurse and she said to come in straight away. We went in and a young nurse looked at my bottom and told her it was what the nurse had suggested, moisture lesion. She then brought in some cream and squirted a large amount into the area. The instructions actually say to only use a very tiny amount and if the skin feels greasy, it’s too much. The cream was running down my legs, on my clothing and making a mess everywhere. It might have helped if she’d read the instructions before using it. Sophie sat in the office, eating her sandwiches and didn’t see me at all. She had assured me on the phone she would email the district nurses after Easter and someone would come and see me. 

On about 13th April The nurse phoned me to apologise for not contacting me, but she’d been unwell all over Easter. On Wednesday 19th the district nurse office phoned me and a nurse came to see me. She inspected my bottom and said a lot of the things I’d been using were totally unsuitable, despite being given me by the hospital. I told her about my experience with my doctor, which is detailed below and she said she would see me the next Wednesday to hear the result of the phone call. She was shocked when I told her, but added that as my skin seemed intact, she wouldn’t need to come and see me again. 

On the 17th April I went in to see my doctor who asked how I was getting on. I said I was still in a great deal of pain and one of the nurses suggested it was nerve pain and the oncologist agreed, but just gave me some more steroid cream. She then said that the Radiology Department “hadn’t had time to look at my scan and report on it”. Well why on earth did she get me in there for nothing? My journey down to Poole has to be accomplished by me lying down in the back of the car and I’m in a worse state by the time I get home. My doctor and the nurse said they were having a meeting with Radiotherapy on Thursday and the nurse would phone me after the meeting. I have to say Peter and I have no faith at all in the doctor.

The nurse duly phoned me on Thursday 19th in the afternoon about 4ish and said they’d had the meeting with Radiology, but they couldn’t see  anything because there is so much inflammation, which was what I thought they would say. She was clearly in a hurry and when I mentioned a district nurse had suggested I perhaps had an anal fissure the nurse snapped “how would she know, she’s not a doctor!”. She then said she had a meeting and rang off, she was on the phone about three minutes.

I then, out of the blue, had a telephone call from my GP surgery, saying a Dr X would like to see me to discuss my medication - such a pleasant surprise to be invited for a discussion. I had also been to see our own GP,  as my stomach was giving me awful trouble as I’d taken paracetamol, knowing it disagreed with me, but I was desperate with pain. We saw my GP and he was surprised at my level of pain when walking to his room. I was unable to sit down and stood during the consultation, except when he examined my stomach. He said I was constipated and must take Laxido, which I did. He then instructed one of his employees to phone me a few days later to see how I was feeling - to me this was just so good, after the sort of treatment I’d received at the hands of people in Poole Hospital.

I duly went and saw Dr X on 26th April. She again could see the high level of pain I was in and straight away said “I’ve got to sort out this pain for you”. Again, I stood up for the consultation. She had asked me in to discuss the Sertraline (anti depressant) I was on and had it helped and had I had any side effects. I said it had literally been a life-saver and she was pleased and put it on repeat prescription for six months for me. My original doctor should have checked this with me on 17th April and put it on my notes s she had prescribed it for me,  but didn’t bother.

Dr X then asked me about the morphine I’m on and asked if it helped the pain. She said it was nerve damage, hence the awful pain. I said I won’t take a lot of morphine because it blocks me up, but does help with the pain to a degree, but takes a long time to work. I take 5 mls of morphine and Dr X said to tackle the pain I of course needed a higher dose, which would then cause constipation. So she then suggested I change to Gabapentin, which is specifically for nerve pain (and epilepsy), and I felt that at last we were going to get somewhere. She did say it would take some time to start working, about three to four weeks and I’d need to keep taking the morphine if the pain was too bad. She made me an appointment to see her in three weeks to see how I was tolerating the Gabapentin and if it was helping.

Well, it’s now 12th May and things are really much the same, except I do think the pain isn’t quite as bad as it was. It’s quite hard to judge really, but my bowels are quite regular now, I take prunes and Laxido at night and that seems to work fine. I’m always sore after opening my bowels, but the actual going is less painful, which is an improvement. I am  still unable to sit, except for short times with a proper “donut” pillow which someone gave me. I either stand or lie down.

I am booked to see Dr X next Thursday, 18th May, to see how I’m getting on and I’m going to ask if we can increase the Gabapentin now to see if the pain can be reduced. She has been so helpful and caring, I now feel confident again in the knowledge that someone is looking after me and monitoring my progress. 

I feel very strongly that the treatment, or lack of it, at Poole Oncology Assessment Unit is disgraceful when you consider how frightening a diagnosis of cancer is and the lack of aftercare, support or information on what to expect, or what might happen after treatment is totally unacceptable.

12th May 2023

There we are ladies - I hope you are all keeping all right and I look forward to hearing from you. Bee xx

• Hi Bee,

I think this is great, detailed and specific without being accusatory (heaven knows we don't want to become 'difficult patients' and get even more ignored!

I hope the Gabapentin helps. My gastro doc gave them to me prior to the cancer diagnosis, thinking the pain could have been caused by damaged nerves from a hemorrhoidectomy. It did help, but had some weird uncomfortable side effects, like blurred vision. But when you're in this degree of pain, anything that works on it is good.

I really REALLY hope they pay attention to how badly you were left to cope with this awful cancer with so little support. It's so unlike what most Brits seem to experience.

Keep us posted on how they respond.

And how the med work for you! It's time for you to NOT be in such pain any more!

Hugs

Suz

• Hi Suz, yes something certainly need to be done about the lack of information and aftercare, but what worries me is that if my comments get back to the oncologist she might get nasty with me and of course I'm likely to be under her for a couple of years at least, quite a difficult situation. I'm Looking forward to seeing Dr Evans GP tomorrow to see if we can increase my dose of gabapentin.  Bee X

• Bee

It is truly horrifying the variations in treatment and I am so sorry that you seemed to have pulled the short straw; I am so pleased that you have put all this in writing and I hope very much you will share any reply.  I am astonished at the inconsistency in care and you must have been so confused.  I read this account by a nurse who worked in an oncology unit and was diagnosed with cancer herself, well worth a read https://herecomesthesun927.com/2016/11/14/dear-every-cancer-patient-i-ever-took-care-of-im-sorry-i-didnt-get-it/  

Your latest GP sounds fab; my GP suffered cancer as a young man with three children and has been an absolute rock for me; I missed a telephone appointment and rang the surgery back and within minutes he was on the phone and spoke to me (weeping in a car park) for half an hour.  A good GP is worth their weight in gold.

Your experience mirrors mine in that morphine caused extreme constipation; my daughter (not a nurse, just an absolute gem) gave me an enema whilst I lay on towels on the bathroom floor, and the whole episode was so awful I stopped the morphine that day.  I now know that I should have balanced morphine AND Laxido from day one after treatment ended.  Even in pain, and despite the oncologist's advice I refused to entertain taking it again.  But I still take Laxido every day.

Your pain levels sound just awful and I hope that the latest medication works.  And I am also pleased that Sertraline has helped; I have been on anti-depressants since my diagnosis and I don't think I could have coped, especially in the early days when I was in a very dark place. 

Thank you for sharing all this Bee, I hope any professional on here reads your account and takes note.

Irene xx 

• Hello again Irene, sorry I  haven't been in touch since your wonderful reply. Time just seems to rush by, despite not doing much. However, having said that, the new medication seems to be working as I'm not in agonising pain all the time. I saw the GP again on Thursday and she said I could increase my Gabapentin to two twice a day and one at night, which I'm doing and even though she said it would take 4/6 weeks to work, it seems to be helping, or perhaps it's in my mind, whichever, it's better than it was. It's more discomfort I would say now, than raging pain all day. My bum does feel odd though, as though I need to go all the time, which is annoying and a bit worrying, but I'm due an MRI scan in June, although my appointment with the oncologist ( for what it's worth) isn't until 17th July. Who knows if she'll be able to tell me anything then. 

However, I must keep on "taking the pills" and seeing the GP, which is great, and hope all is well. I certainly have more energy and have actually been down into Wimborne, and done a bit of shopping on my own, charity shops of course and actually bought three dresses!! I've been buying a lot on eBay whilst I couldn't get out and I have a feeling it's a sort of insurance policy, buying clothes, to tell myself that I will get to wear them in the future. 

I know what you mean about being in a very dark place in the early days, I was just the same, terrified of my own shadow, wouldn't be left alone at all, Peter couldn't even get the food shopping. It was terrible. I asked the oncologist for the Sertraline - it wasn't offered. But I was in such a state and of course, it affected people round me, especially Peter, my partner. He's disabled himself, but had to do everything, so at least now I can hoover, although I hate it, I'm glad to be able to do so. Same with the cooking, again I hate it, but to be able to do it is a bonus.

I read the link you sent me about the nurse who had cancer herself - so interesting and so true. You can never put yourself into someone shoes who has cancer until you have it yourself.

Thank you for your lovely support Irene, it's been such a help. Bee Xx

• Bee, if you are out doing a bit of retail therapy things are definitely looking up!

I couldn't have done without the support I had here either, and I learned SO much along the way.

I really hope that things continue to improve.

Irene xx

• Hello Irene, I think most of my mental health problems were caused by lack of aftercare, having no idea what to expect, whether it was normal or not, I was just left to bumble my own way through, in extreme pain all the time, and no professional advice at all. I did bump into a lady when I was at the hospital who had her treatment at the same time as me and she said the same, no help or aftercare and she had a terribly bad reaction to the radiotherapy. She said her skin went bright red everywhere, all over the body and she ended up in hospital for twelve days - awful. So I know the lack of aftercare there is the norm. However, hopefully I can put it all behind me now and look forwards, not backwards, I think going over it all in my mind just delays my recovery. At least it's almost summer and I'm enjoying wearing all the lovely things I've bought, so it's best foot forward. My big goal is to get back to choir - I sing in two choral societies and I really miss the music and the company of course. It's the not being able to sit which is the problem, but hopefully the Gabapentin will sort that out. And of course having the energy to drive there, sing and drive home again. I'll probably just start with one choir, then add in the second once I'm strong enough.

Did you find you lacked energy, or the inclination to do anything? I want  to do things, but the will doesn't seem to be there to actually do them. I hope this will change, it has to a certain extent, but the energy isn't there. Take care and thank you for your support. Bee Xx

• Bee, how wonderful that you are thinking of going back to sing in a choir - I had a friend who sang in a choir and she said it was so uplifting, so a very positive step for you.

I don't think your lack of care is the norm, at least I very much hope it isn't, although I am so sorry you went through it.  I had weekly appointments for six or seven weeks after treatment ended because of all my sores and the staff couldn't have done enough for me.  The tissue viability nurse was determined not to let me go until my sores had healed and each week if there wasn't a marked improvement she would try something else.  And they did heal, my skin is still very tender but I think that is common after radiotherapy, I am very careful and use QV cream (thank you iberally all over my nether regions.

Getting energy back is a work in progress, fourteen months down the line.  I just go with the flow, if I need a nap, I have one.  I walk my dog every day and do over three miles but getting there took some time, when I read up on fatigue post radiotherapy all the resources say that exercise helps so that is what motivated me.  I have recently had my hips x-rayed as they can be painful, especially on stairs, but the doctor said that there are no obvious signs of arthritis, she thinks it is muscular and has referred me for physiotherapy.

You are still in the early days after treatment ended, so please don't worry if there is a limit to what you can do.  Life gets better, not exactly like before but definitely much more preferable to the alternative!

You take care too.

Irene xxx  

• Hello Irene, I've found our conversations again - I do find navigating all the different places to post quite challenging. I bought the QV cream and it's lovely isn't it. Thank you for the recommendation. I walk my dogs twice a day now the evenings are so light. I normally do an hour in the morning and drive them to a different place every morning. As I was telling Red on here I have to find a private place every morning and empty my bowels whilst I'm out, but I'm well prepared and of course have a bag of doggy bags, and have just accepted that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. I'm sure exercise helps our bodies heal and of course being out in the sunshine lifts our spirits and talking to the other dogs and their owners is good. I'm going to attempt a bit of gardening in a bit, now I've rested after my walk.

By the way, I now have 6-8 prunes every night and don't take Laxido unless I've been forced to take morphine. The prunes come in a tin with apple juice - absolutely delicious - from Waitrose)

Take care & keep in touch Bee Xxx

• Oh Bee, you are so amazing! I have my commode with its bidet and cleansing lotion and wet wipes and soft drying paper and lotions and potions, and I set up my life so at least the mornings are low on stress as I boomerang back and forth between the coffee-and-computer and the bathroom.

The throught of tending to my butt in the wild makes my buttcheeks clench with anxiety!

I LOVE that you have freed yourself!!!!!

Hugs

Suz

• Bee

I am so glad the cream is helping.  Long before cancer, when I took my dog for a walk I had all these hidden places if I needed a loo stop; one day as I was squatting someone came crashing through the bushes and I cried out in alarm, and a female voice said so sorry, I was about to have a loo break!  We really laughed as she used the same hidden spot as me!

I wouldn't have any hesitation in emptying my bowels either if I had to.  Needs must!

I will try the prunes at night instead of prune juice, thank you for that tip.

You take care too

Irene xx