Neck

• 8 replies
  • 42 subscribers

Hello

i was wondering if anyone had had spread to the neck and, if so, what it felt like? Would it be a tumour or lymph nodes? 

Many thanks! 

• Hi  ,

Although I don’t have any experience of your query I didn’t want your post sitting there unanswered. 

I would definitely advise getting any new lumps or bumps checked out by your treating team or GP. They can get you checked out & hopefully put your mind at rest. 

I know what it’s like to worry about every change once you’ve had a cancer diagnosis regardless of what it is, I remember I had hip pain prior to my diagnosis & by the time I had my diagnosis I’d convinced myself the cancer was already in my bones! This wasn’t the case.

Nicola  

• Hello MiniMouse

I am sorry I can't help at all, I don't know.  I think spread can manifest itself in countless ways and I can only echo Nicola, that if there is anything you are worried about, go and get it checked out.  We all live with the constant fear of recurrence and I have lost count of the number of times I have been alarmed by a twinge or odd feeling and it has been nothing, only the fear is very real.

Best of luck, please let us know how you get on.

Irene xx

• Thank you both very much for your responses, I will do.

• Hi MiniMouse just to say I noticed a lump on my tongue around 12 months post treatment and went to my dentist who sent me to hospital just to get it checked out and they wasn’t concerned. Then around last November I noticed that I had a lump come up at the side of my throat like a walnut when I ate and had previously noticed I had a salty sweet taste in my mouth on and off. Alarm bells kicked off and saw my GP and took a banana to eat so she could see what happens. The doctor sent me to the ENT clinic which took three months and they said it was a blocked submandibular gland. I had an ultra sound to see if I had stones but luckily it was clear and just the glands over react and no signs of cancer. He said he was glad I checked it out anyway so yes I agree go and get it checked out for peace of mind.

• That’s really useful to know, thank you!

• Hey  ,

I don’t know the answer to your questions, nor have I any useful personal experience to add, BUT I’ll just say that after a cancer diagnosis and treatment, every doctor I’ve talked to has said it is very normal, even expected to be on heightened alert regarding our bodies and seemingly random symptoms.  As others in this thread have already said, if you have a concern or are suspicious of a symptom, it is absolutely reasonable for you to seek a medical evaluation of that.

I am very fortunate in that both my radiation oncologist and my primary care physician are excellent at addressing Every. Single. Question I have thoroughly, very promptly, and without becoming annoyed in the least.  They have both compassionately encouraged me to ask about anything that concerns me, they order tests if necessary, and even speed results to me.

The peace of mind that has come from their partnership in my recovery has been such a positive contributor to my quality of life in immediate survivorship, which is a surprisingly challenging time!  I know with them in my side, if something is truly a problem, it will be addressed immediately, and if something isn’t a problem, I’ll not waste days in worry and anxiety.

I don’t know if there is a physician or nurse in your team who could be “that person” for you.  I feel so strongly that every cancer patient and survivor should have someone who can fill that role.

Hugs,

Red

• That’s really lovely Heart

• Hello Red, what you say is so true. I had no aftercare of any sort following chemoradio for anal cancer. They just told me ad nauseam that the pain would peak two weeks after treatment finished and then I'd start to get better. I finished treatment on 2nd January and here we are at the end of May and I'm far from better. The so-called "emergency number" I was given was just an answephone, same with the two speciality nurses. When they ring back they just palmed me off with "oh that's nothing to worry about", that sort of attitude the whole time until in April my surgery phoned me out of the blue for a medication review because I was on anti-depressants which my oncologist put me on, but didn't bother to enquire how I was getting on with them. The whole hospital experience has been a nightmare. However, my surgery has now taken me under its wing and everybody there is so helpful and supportive I feel so much more confident than I did before. You really need support after cancer and it's treatment and the simply awful after-effects, about which no-one warns you. Bee xx