3 months post treatment scans

• 10 replies
  • 41 subscribers

That time has come and to say I’m dreading the results is an understatement. 
the last 3 months following the chemo radiation started off really difficult. The pain quickly subsided and aside from feeling a bit weaker and more tired than I would have been prior to diagnosis, I’ve been fine. 
i even managed a trip to london which was amazing. 
the last few weeks leading upto scans I’ve been feeling anxious and with that I’ve been thinking I feel like my bum is more painful than before. 
i have a stoma but I have a loop colostomy and over the past few weeks have been passing stools. Spoke to stoma team who said it’s ok and normal so hoping the tenderness is just related to that. 
the other thing I’ve been getting is really achy muscles. Mainly legs and buttocks. I can’t figure out if I need to be more active (I feel I already am) or if I need to rest (which i don’t much of) 

Anyway I won’t be getting the scan (ct chest and abdo. MRI pelvis) for around 4 weeks or so. 
im wandering if it’s likely they will want a pet scan too. ? What’s others experience of this been. ? 
i hate waiting but also don’t want to get the results due to the fear of bad results. Life the last 3 months has been ok considering what I’ve been through the past 12 months and I’m scared that will be tasking away again x

• My heart goes out to you; having scans is so so stressful, even much further down the line and I am unaware of anyone who can take them in their stride.

As far as I can see occasionally passing stools is normal with a loop colostomy but I'm glad you had the the reassurance from the stoma team.  When I finished chemo/radiation I also had constant buttock pain and the pain radiated down the backs of my legs.  This did ease off over time and I put it down to the radiotherapy.  My hips and legs haven't gone back to what they were before and I struggle a bit to 'get going' in the morning and I also stiffen up when I have sitting for a long time.

I have MRI and CT scans every three months but have never had another PET scan after treatment ended.  I asked the oncologist why and she told me the PET scan is used as a tool for determining the course of treatment but that the subsequent MRIs and CT scans tell them all they need to know, and that the treatment causes a lot of inflammation which would show up as false positives on a PET scan.

I am sorry I can't offer more comfort other than to say we all know and can totally empathise with you about the fear.  I think it is our lives' companion after a cancer diagnosis.

We are all rooting for you and hoping for the best possible results.

Irene xx

• Hi Ker,

I'm so in awe of how well you're handling post treatment! No way could I have handled a trip during the first few months after. And I still need to rest more than I did before, even though I'm trying to step up my activity level as well.

Here I find the opposite problem, my doctor wants me to have an MRI but insurance won't cover it, so my first scans, CT only, will be next month. I'm less anxious about them than I am my 6-monthly anoscopies, for simple fact that the scans won't hurt. What they have to tell me is another story. Even though I'm very optimistic, it's human to be worried, isn't it? It's been a year.

Suz

• Hi Irene thank you for the information about the PET scan. I also wondered why they don’t do PET scans as well as the CT and MRI scans after treatment.

• Hi Ker25 I just wanted to say from time to time at 19 months post treatment I also get buttock and down the back of the legs pain and I am quite active. We have a charity that gets cancer experiencers to participate in getting fit and on Tuesday we did so much of a work out and could hardly walk the next day!

• Hi  ,

I know it doesn’t help too much but the anxiety you’re feeling pre-scan or pre-check-up is completely normal, I know even at the stage I am now, almost 5 years post treatment, it still gets me!… I’m pleased you got some reassurance from your stoma team & that everything is ticking along as expected, I would also think that would explain the tenderness.… Regarding the aches in your buttocks & legs this seems pretty normal following our treatment & I’ve continued suffering stiffness in my upper thighs, groin, lower back & also suffer bilateral sciatica, I’m getting physiotherapy now & it’s helping greatly, I do a set of 5 simple exercises every other day & felt an improvement almost immediately although if I skip a couple of days I do feel it but if this it what it takes to stay more mobile & comfortable then I’ll take that.… I think PET scans here in the UK are given when there is fear of spread to other organs, although different oncologists & hospitals have slightly different protocols. as far as I’m aware surveillance scan consist of what you’ll be getting in around 4 weeks, I like many have only had pelvic MRI & chest & abdomen CT with contrast. 

You’re doing great & I’m pleased to hear you’ve been feeling so well.

Nicola 

• Thank you Irene, your words are really reassuring. It’s not nice that you still struggle now but I guess it’s a small price to pay. I think once you have e the scan results you can deal with side effects better because you know it is just side effects. I will update once I know more xx

• It sure is! I have to try and just focus on the here and now or I drive myself insane with the ifs and maybes. Whilst I want time to go slowly I also want it gone and I want to be like 5 years post treatment already. Crazy how the mind works. Best of luck and hope it’s all good news xx

• Thankyou, it’s good to know as I am always thinking the worst. Xx

• Thankyou for your kind words of reassurance. And I’m so glad you are feeling good xxx

• Hi suz, I really hope you get good news from your scans. It’s such a long time to wait post treatment. 
    im still waiting for mine, I get them next week so will update then x