Diet

• 17 replies
  • 41 subscribers

Hi all, I want to ask our members what foods they find trigger IBS the most. I am waiting to hear from a dietitian who is going to put me on a low Fodmap diet. I have googled this and as Google does regularly it contradicts itself. I try to eat well but have tried cutting out too much fibre in my diet. It would be interesting to see if any one else has tried this diet. Look forward to hearing any tips on how to eat without causing frequent bowel movements and constipation.

• I had an extreme reaction to a very large plate of salad; it literally went through me in two hours.  I have kept away from salads since, at least in the quantities I used to eat.  I read somewhere about a Fodmap app that helps you with any food you scan or enter in.  At my three month appointment the doctor suggested I ate less fibre but I was too afraid, I find constipation the worst of all, and have a daily sachet of Normacol to keep my stools soft.  It works, but I do have at least three bowel movements in the morning before I dare leave the house.  Sorry I can't be of more help!

• Hi  this is an interesting question as when we have had discussions about diet previously on here, different foods seem to affect some people in different ways. Personally, I find too much coffee or alcohol triggers diarrhoea. This also happens when I eat a lot of fibre but it’s hard to get the right balance as too little fibre and I then end up with constipation. I limit myself to 2 cups of coffee and a glass of Coke a day, water, 4 portions of fruit/ veg a day and then I eat fish, chicken, eggs, rice noodles & cheese along with chocolate and crisps. If I stick to that I seem to be ok. Strangely though things I can usually tolerate sometimes set me off with swelling, for eg some fruits or take outs. This doesn’t happen all the time though. It’s a good idea to keep a food diary of food and fluids for a few weeks. Bev x

• Thank you both for your comments. I too struggle with eating foods that are considered healthy to prevent that awful constipation but I cannot take laxatives as I completely swing the other way. I have even tried to cut out lunch completely to stop the frequent bowel movements by just eating breakfast and an evening meal. Cheese and fruit seem to be the worst offenders. Let’s see what happens when I start this Fodmap diet.

• Hi  I hope you see some improvement. Please let us know how you get on. Bev x

• I saw a clip online where a Professor from the Royal Marsden recommended Normacol; laxatives had exactly the same effect on me as with you, but Normacol hasn't affected me that way, it has just made going to the loo less painful.  I'll be really interested to hear how you get on with the Fodmap diet.

• Hi ,

I know we’ve talked about diet & IBS before but I’ve just read ’s reply on this thread & this is correct, I was told by both my oncologist & surgeon not to use laxatives but to use stool softeners, Movicol, Normacol, Laxido etc., they draw water into your stools to bulk them out but making them softer to pass where as a laxative will just clear your system by loosening stools therefore giving you more issues with diarrhoea. 

At a little over 4 years post treatment I’ve found that my IBS is hopefully lessening, I still don’t do well with certain things but many of these, in hindsight, we’re present to some degree prior to my diagnosis. Good coffee is the one thing I really do miss, I get really bloated & gassy after even one cup. 

Let us know when you start the FODMAP diet & how you’re getting on. 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola is good to hear that you have seen some improvement as time has passed. I am becoming more aware of what I eat and Bev’s comment regarding Chocolate and crisps made me chuckle. I do eat these but only when I do not have plans the next day. I will get there eventually and will keep you updated when I start this diet. I have been told it can be a bit cumbersome but it’s not for ever. Julie

• Yes FODMAP is pretty restrictive to begin with I believe but it’ll be worth it if it solves some of your issues & highlights foods you’re better off avoiding. I found there were foods that I couldn’t tolerate at all post treatment that I can have in moderation now but I can also eat something one day & it’s fine but then eat it again the following day & it doesn’t agree with me but the worst I get is bloating now, no bowel disturbances. I hope your dietitian appointment soon so that you can get started. 

Nicola 

• My bestie, who has a stoma due to ulcerative colitis, educated me on the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber, which may be the villain in this story. I'd always just focused on getting enough fiber to counteract constipation, but it turns out (doesn't it always?) that there's more to the story.

I just can't do laxatives of any sort, even the ones advertised as 'mild' or 'natural' or 'gentle' send me into a hell of diarrhea. But if I go too low fiber, I'm in the terror o constipation. 

It's such a maddeningly individual journey. Food journals and figuring out our own quirky necessities seems the only way to go at it.

Good luck!

Suz

• Hi Jaycee12,  I have Crohn’s Disease which I have had for almost 20 years.  Over the years I have found what works for me, but everyone is different.  You are right about fibre, my diet basically consists of chicken, fish, seafood, white rice, white bread.  I can also eat eggs and cheese in moderation.  I can’t eat vegetables, red meat, fruit and stay away from cakes and biscuits etc.  but as I say, I have found it’s trial and error as everyone reacts differently.  
    Good luck x