Sitting for long periods

• 14 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone

I am 15 months out of treatment and doing really well, bowel function practically normal (apart from the clear jelly discharge that still exercises visitation rights) but hardly have pain going to the toilet.   But I often feel like my back passage is swollen, or like I have a stick up my butt, and when I sit down for long periods, as in 8 hrs, for my job, I get pain, varying from nagging to very uncomfortable. Have also had some pain if I walk more than usual, or swim a lot.  

How is everyone else who a while out of treatment finding pain?  And exercise, but especially sitting?

• I suspect that's the reason exactly, Jaycee. It certainly is here in the US. My oncologist told me the first time I met him that he was going to try to get PT scans, 1 right away for a baseline and another 6 months after treatment, but was worried they'd only approve CT and that's exactly what happened. Every time I've brought it up since then they show me a chart of what the insurance company will approve. It's ghastly. 

• Hi Julie (),

Again I would question this with your oncologist, I know each hospitals protocol regarding follow-ups vary slightly but I would have thought you’d be getting pelvic MRI’s until at least past the 2 year mark if not longer! My aftercare varied slightly because I was in a clinical trial but just for reference I had pelvic MRI & chest, abdominal, pelvic CT at 3 months post treatment then 6 months, then 6 monthly for 2 years then annually until my last ones at the beginning of 2022, I was then told in June this year by my surgeon I’d have no more scans & if things continue the way they are I’ll be discharged at my next appointment in June 2023. I would definitely approach your oncologist & ask the question though or ring their secretary & voice your concerns as these things do get overlooked unfortunately! I hope you get sorted soon. 

Nicola 

• Hi Nicola, I phoned my team and they said they carry out CT scans at 12 months post treatment. The last MRI scan I had October last year which had a good outlook. I suppose it’s the way they do it at Addenbrookes. I seemed to have gatecrashed beyond terrifieds post!

• That’s good  that you got an explanation & you now know their protocol, personally I wish the follow-up protocol was the same across the board it would make things simpler & more straight forward but as I say each hospital/team seem to vary slightly which can cause confusion & concerns & don’t worry it’s not unusual for posts to go off on a tangent lol. 

Nicola