Sudden acute tiredness… & oncologist meeting

• 6 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hello all,  

Sorry more questions alert!

So today is my first consultation with an oncologist. I wondered if anyone had any top tips or questions I should ask? 

Secondly, has everyone experienced the sudden onset of acute tiredness. One minute I’m fine then the next I suddenly find myself utterly floored with tiredness. My eyelids have a life of their own!!! It’s overwhelming. Obviously I haven’t started any treatment yet so this is all new to me  it’s literally like I’ve been unplugged  

I am also experiencing ever increasing pain in the back of my left leg. I was awake all last night with it despite 2 x 5ml doses of morphine. I found a pressure stocking and popped it on which helped a bit. I also have an unexplained bruise at the back of my knee which is incredibly tender to touch and last night was literally throbbing with pain despite the morphine. My leg isn’t hot or red (so was discounting a clot) but did seem rather strange and was definitely a bit swollen where the bruise is. I have been experiencing increasing sciatic pain in that leg as the pelvic tumour (I have 5.3cm tumour anal/rectal and a 2.5cm tumour in my left obturator/pelvis) is apparently pressing on the nerves to that leg so I have numbness /tingling/shooting electric pains/deep bone ache. 

Really enjoying myself right now… not! Joy

Any advice most gratefully received. 

M x 

•  I’m guessing from your style that you already have a good list of Qs; I’d suggest the last Q could be “what would you ask in my position?”

The acute tiredness is common.  My feeling is it’s the combination of your body fighting the disease, the morphine, the emotional shock of diagnosis & the stress.

If you can find a healthy balance between rest & exercise, you’ll be doing better than most people at your stageBlush

Good luck with your oncologist!  x  toni

• Hi 

Don’t ever apologise for asking questions, everyone that has been through what you’re going through now can help in some way to fill in the gaps that the Dr’s sometimes leave. 

As Toni has said the tiredness that you’re feeling is probably a combination of your energy being burned by your body fighting the disease & emotional exhaustion. I remember feeling the same once I’d had my diagnosis although as exhausted as I felt sleep seemed to evade me at nighttime!! 

Regarding the bruise at the back of your knee I would get that checked out if I were you just to be on the safe side especially if there’s some swelling also. 

I hope your oncology appointment went well. 

Nicols

• Thank you Nikki & Toni yes it’s a whirlwind! Great meeting the oncologist and feel it’s another hurdle overcome. It’s the usual 5 and a half week radio & chemo although they had another surprise nodule to add in! So I’m literally in latter Stage 3 T4 N2 M0 (still not entirely to grips with that bit) - in the nick of time he said! Let’s hope so! He answered every single question I had written down before I had to ask! Super thorough, open and approachable  

He said there will be days ahead where I’ll beg him to stop but just to think of the end game. 

So in 10’days my mapping should be ready then we will begin. And managed to get pain killers changed so hopefully no more morphine. 

Fingers crossed! 
    Thanks again for all your encouragement and help. So appreciated. So much to learn!!!  Oh and bruise all fine, he thoroughly checked! 

M x 

• Hi, I was utterly exhausted when first diagnosed, it came in waves. Turned out I was anaemic and since I’ve been taking iron tablets and having chemo things have really improved. Just a thought. X

• Thank you Zoe, yes going to have some more blood tests next week as I’m bruising like a peach so may well be that! X 

• That’s great news that the ball is rolling  & treatment is on the not so distant horizon also great news that you got the bruise checked & alls good with that. 

It makes an incredible difference when you have a good relationship with your oncologist, mine is such a kind, gentle, patient man & it was quite an emotional day when he discharged me a couple of weeks ago. I’ve continued appointments with him a lot longer than normal (3 years) with being in a clinical trial & have built a lovely relationship with him with great communication. He has now discharged me but has assured me that his door is always open should I have any concerns in the future. 

I hope the blood test go ok next week, if it shows you’re a little anaemic then hopefully they’ll get you on some meds before you start your treatment. 

Nicola