1st treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 14 replies
  • 37 subscribers
I've just done my 1st chemo and radiotherapy sessions. 
The woile thing was a bit terrifying for a newbie tbh. 
The chemo went ok. No sickness. It was IV. I have tablets for the month though. 
The nurse told me not to handle the tablets because they would burn my fingers. Wow. So I just swallow these then? 
I am trying not to overthink it but I am feeling a little wierd and have had mild palpitations.  I dont know if its down to the chemo or the steroids they give you as part of the anti sickness tablets. Or both I guess.
The radio was obviously fine. 
As I said before though I am the anxious type and will quite likely struggle with "Feeling weird" for the course of the treatment.
I hope i get used to it.
Does any of that sound familiar to anyone else's experience?
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Ian,

Well done, you’ve got the first day over and done with. Things will quickly become very familiar from now onwards.

I remember my first day well. Sitting in the purple chemo chair, with other ‘more experienced’ patients looking/smiling at me. I was crapping myself but trying to hold it together in front of everyone. When my husband arrived, I lost it.

What chemo have you had? my IV chemo was ‘Mitomycin’ it was bright blue and over pretty quickly. I remember every day after waiting to feel side effects. I remember feeling pretty much OK for 2-3 days then I did feel nauseous (I wasn’t sick) and my bowel became loose towards the end of the week. My reaction however, was no where near as bad as I imagined it would be. I basically felt like I had a bit of a hangover. 

I took oral chemo twice (8 pills altogether), every day. It was called ‘Capecitabine' and I handled the tablets just as I did all my other meds. Nothing was ever mentioned about burning. Maybe you’re on a different drug? if its the same however, it definitely won’t burn your fingers.

Its normal to over-think you’ve just had some hard core drugs pumped into you and you’re waiting or a reaction. Severe reactions are very rare and you may be surprised that you reaction might be quite subtle. Remember the radiotherapy is the main treatment for this cancer.

I hope you continue to just feel a little weird and that you have a restful nights sleep, ready for tomorrow.

All the best.

Sarah x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Sarah

I had the exact same treatment. And have the same tablets.

I have steroids as anti sickness too. 

I checked the pamphlet they gave me and apparently palpations are a "Very rare" side effect of chemo. I will tell them if it gets worse. I may have a heart condition I dont know about i guess. They can be unsettling.

I guess you could say it feels like a hangover. Though a bit more wierd than that. Hopefully it will let me sleep ok. I don't tend to be able to sleep if I have had one too many.

I'm hoping I will get used to the new normal though. 

Wish me luck and thanks for your support as always. 

Cheers x

• FormerMember

It is an unsettling time. Anything you’re worried about or doesn’t feel right, just flag it. Have you been given a 24 hour telephone line to call? Macmillan also has one as back up if you need it. I think the main thing with chemo is keeping a close eye on your temperature. If you temperature goes up it could be sign of infection. 

I took anti-sickness on the first day of chemo, I was so scared that I’d be throwing up all the time but I was only sick once during that first week. I was sick about 5 times throughout the whole of treatment but I’m not convinced it was down to the chemo. Most of time I think it was down to taking meds on an empty stomach as I didn’t eat much.

Things will build up slowly you will have time to adapt and react to the side effects. 

Sending lots of love and luck.

Sarah X

• FormerMember

Hi Sarah, 

Yes they gave me a 24hour helpline.  All good there. 

They gave me steroids for 3 days. Shouldn't use them beyond 3 days they tell me. 

How did you cope with the nausea? Was it continuous or did it fade between taking the tablets? 

I've know distraction works but they're is only so much house work do isn't they're lol. Tried that today.

The palpations seem to be easing off now so hopefully will be good for a decent sleep tonight.

I spoke to two guys having thier radio treatments today.  One in his 3rd week. Told me he was fine. The other on his last treatment. He was late sixties I'd imagine and was right as rain. On his own. Left with a smile. I wished I had asked what treatment he had.  

• FormerMember

Morning

Hope you’re ok and not feeling too different from yesterday. 

My nausea wasn’t constant and seemed to affect me more afternoons onwards, maybe as I became more tired, blood sugar levels dropping. As I said I didn’t feel the need to take anti-sickness meds but sometimes I did feel really sick.

Although I lost my appetite, I found eating small amounts, often eased the nausea. It’s hard to do though when you’re not feeling hungry. I remember eating a lot of popcorn, water melon and tuna baguettes. It was bizzare, these were the only things I craved. 

Other than that I’d just ride it out, sleep or get myself into the fresh air. Ginger can be good for easing nausea. I used it when I was pregnant. 

Glad you’re finding people to chat to. It helps to pass the time and share experiences. There wasn’t really the opportunity at my hospital it was so busy I hardly saw the same face twice! that’s London for you! 

Speak soon.

Sarah X

• Hi Ian, 

I know when you suffer from anxiety it’s not always so simple but I would try & not dwell too much on the nausea side of things. I know everyone is different but my oncologist said it’s  generally the chemo infusion that causes the nausea & not the tablets, I didn’t feel sick at all!! I only took the first lot of anti-sickness meds then didn’t bother after that, I didn’t lose my appetite or anything until after treatment had finished when I had a ropey couple of weeks. I’m sure if it makes you feel better then your oncologist will be happy to prescribe the anti-sickness meds throughout. If you find your appetite isn’t great then as Sarah has said little and often is probably best as not eating in fear of feeling sick will only make things worse & it’s important that you keep fuelling your body so that you have the energy & sustenance to get through treatment & heal well afterwards.

Keep us up to date on how things are going as there’s lots of lovely people here that have tips on coping with different situations throughout & after your treatment & the best bit of advice I can give is try & take each day as it comes but focus on the end game & these next couple of weeks will fly by.

Good luck

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hi Nicola

Thanks for that. I have settled a little today. No more palpatations atm thankfully. 

I had a review today and was shown the ropes so to speak about meds and how much support they offer during the treatment. I was very well looked after.

I'm in a better place now. Sleeping pretty well tbh. That's down to the support on here and at the hospital.

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reassure me. You've done a great job.

Cheers x

• Hi Ian, 

I'm really pleased that things have settled down a bit today, maybe the palpitations were down to being a little overwhelmed with the whole first day thing? Hopefully now you’re getting to know the ropes & building confidence in the team of professionals around you & most of all feeling like you’re being well cared for then you’ll feel a bit calmer moving through your treatment. 

Keep that positive vibe going, well done. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Hi Nicola,

Yes I am in a better place.

I noticed I have minor palpations from my last dose of tablets after tea today.

I was told in the review that they would check me out of I was still having issues by my next meeting,  they might consider dropping the chemo as the work is really done by the radio.

I would rather have both to ensure maximum chance of getting rid of everything of course. So fingers crossed it stays as a minor issue. 

Either way I do feel much calmer with the whole process. 

Ian x

• FormerMember

Hi Sarah,

The palpations have settled now. I think it was a combo of the IV and the trepidation of the onset of symptoms if that makes sense. 

I started weds so am only 3 treatments in atm. Today is Sat so I have 2 days off so to speak. Then a straight week.

I have noticed a change in the bowel already. Again any sign of an impending symptom  causes a little bout of panic until I get a handle on it and then I tend to settle again. I do suffer with IBS and got hammered by taking two kinds off antibiotics once so was expecting a rough ride with the chemo. I've noticed it will pass after a while and just get a lot of gas with it atm. 

I guess it's ok to take remedies for that?

Did you ever try drinking alcohol with chemo? Sounds a little nuts but I have wondered. 

Will let you know how next week goes. Thanks for the support as always. 

Ian xx