Picc Line

• 9 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi I am having my picc line put in on Monday and I'm starting to get anxious about it. Can anyone tell me does it hurt going in or afterwards, how does it affect bath/shower etc, can I exercise specifically weight lifting and running, i want to keep doing these as long as i can. Did anyone have chemo differently. 

• Hi  ,

I had a PICC line for my chemo. It doesn’t hurt going in, they numb that part of your arm so you can’t feel it at all. I was anxious like you but was so surprised by how easy it was.

I bought a LIMBO sleeve to cover the area when I showered and that worked really weak. It was a pain to have a shower while the chemo pump was attached so I just washed instead.

Im not sure about exercising so best to ask your team.

Hope that helps.

Georgie 

• Thank you Georgie. X

• Hello Bungle1

Sorry, I didn't have a picc line, I had chemo in tablet form daily.  But I see you have already had a reply from someone who has experience of this, I hope you are reassured.

Irene xx

• Hi

i had a PICC line for my chemo on weeks one and five. 
    The PICC itself is very neat and you don’t feel it go in at all. On the weeks when you’re not having Chemo you won’t notice it and will be able to do what you feel like doing. However, once they attach the chemo bottle (like a big baby’s bottle) there’s a long attachment that makes it all a bit wirey. I had a little cross body bag to sit it in to make it easier to carry about.  
    It’s a bit of a pain to shower at this point but I bought a special sleeve at the hospital to cover it over and as long as you’re careful not to pull on it it’s fine. 

I’m not gonna lie it’s a bit annoying but on non chemo weeks you’ll be fine. I don’t exercise as such so I can’t comment but I think you’ll find it quite cumbersome. You may feel tired too so see how you feel. 

Good Luck with your journey. You’ll smash it. I’m 3 years remission. You got this. Xx

• Thank you Holibobs. I don't actually know when my chemo starts only that the line goes in Monday and I so want to carry on as usual while I can. Lovely to hear about your remission. Xx

• Thank you Irene. Xx

• I hope it went well for you today. 
    You’ll make it work for you I’m sure. 
    Good Luck x

• Hi Holibobs

Thank you for checking in really kind of you. Picc line was absolutely fine felt nothing. I did have a little cry as I think it made things feel very real plus they told me I wasn't aloud to lift anything over 10kgs which means no weight lifting for me. I'm going to sort a sleeve like you and a lady called Georgie mentioned, the hospital told me to use cling film but that is not going to work. Now just have to wait for radiotherapy to start on the 30th assume chemo starts then aswell. Tell me to mind my own business but I was reading your bio and you said about rib pain I wondered was that related to cancer. Xx

• Hi Bungle1

I’m pleased that the Picc line went well. I cried too! It’s definitely because it’s the start of your journey and you don’t really know what to expect. It’s a shame you can’t continue doing what you love right now, but maybe two months or so and you’ll be back in the game! I think you’ll appreciate the sleeve for showering.

I still get the rib/side pain! Nothing to do with the cancer diagnosis luckily. Randomly, I went for my first Breast screening recently and I was telling the nurse there about it, and she said it sounds like I have Costochondritis. Her mother had it and although it’s usually a short lived thing, her mother has had it for many years. Having researched this, I believe it is the same thing. Four Drs later and one did mention it, so who knows. It’s just something that I’m going along with.

Wishing you good luck on 30th. I think from memory that I had the chemo fitted in the morning and then my first radio in the afternoon. It’s makes it a long day so be prepared with food and drinks etc, but after that you’ll be super quick everyday with just the radiotherapy to do.

More than happy to share any information with you or answer any questions or queries you might have along your journey. Best wishes. X