I’m 3 weeks post treatment. This was my 6 week journey

• 21 replies
  • 37 subscribers

This is where I am 3 weeks post treatment and I have detailed my

experiences from day 1 of treatment, 12 February 2024.

Diagnosis - anal cancer T2 N1a M0

This was my journey….

Your days will be ruled by your appt schedule, but the 6 weeks will truly feel like they’ve flown by once you complete your treatment. Have faith, take it a day at a time and accept you will have good days and not so good days

The PICC line was the best thing ever. I hate needles and finding veins can be challenging. Bloods were taken weekly to check blood counts were all OK and no blood transfusions required. Whilst the PICC line was in for x days insertion and removal were painless. Buy a limbo neoprene sleeve to help with showering. It proved  a God send.

The chemo can which you are likely to have on weeks 1 & 5, Mon-Fri is challenging simply from the logistics of sleeping with it by your side and showering ( I slipped into a food bag with a double seal so I could still shower) and had it hanging around my neck for ease. The dressing is replaced weekly and flushed with saline and the can replaced mid week as it only lasts 48hrs. All straight forward and painless!

Radiotherapy. Get used to the routine. 30mins before treatment, empty your bladder and drink 450ml of water. The treatment itself took 2-3 minutes but about 20-30 minutes of preparation, aligning you on the machine and updating your scans/xrays. Painless process.

Get used to sleeping! I slept for England. It’s how the body repairs itself but if you’re able, get out into the fresh air, into your garden even briefly (walking can be quite painful after a while)

Diarrhoea - I had it for 2 days but had been given Loperamide which put an end to that.

Nausea - thankfully I had none but had been given anti sickness tablets just in case, which I didn’t need to take.

Hair loss - pubic area only. It all looked lovely and trim down there when it happened!

Creams & Potions. E45/Aveeno. Liberally apply, especially in the skin creases around your pelvis area/under carriage from day 1 of treatment. Post radiotherapy I was sore as if I had sunburn., skin started peeling away in small areas around my groin but I’d been given the real magical cream to help: flamigel followed by flamirol hydra and flamirol forte. This stuff really works!

Instillagel. Post bowel movement (this remained the really painful bit throughout) apply this to your anus - it comes in a syringe, which I squirted into a teacup and dabbed on a little with my finger (under advice from the team). It very briefly stings but numbs the area for 3-4 hours. Reapply as required

Bowel movements were typically twice daily- towards the end of treatment and  for a couple of weeks afterwards, the ‘debris’ will start to appear. The tumour will break down and has only one way out. You might see it in your stools

if you have a daily inspection but nothing to panic about. It’s what you want after all.

Weekly review meetings. My team were incredible. Tell them exactly how you are, what pain you are in, so you get what you need to manage this.

Keep your own diary. Log your medication. How you’re feeling. Highs and Lows. You will see improvement as the weeks go by

Telling your family and friends. I kept this to a very small group initially as I wanted to manage this quietly and privately but post treatment felt

I wanted to tell a wider circle - without posting on Facebook or anything like that. You’ll know when the time is right for you but all have been so supportive to me. You realise how important family and friendships are.

Morphine - I’m off it now but had been taking doses ranging from 2.5ml to 7.5ml three to four times in a 24 hr period, again under advice and guidance.

Tablets. Lansaporole daily to protect your stomach.

Ibuprofen initially and then paracetamol  every 4 hours in line with guidance.

Sundry purchases which might help:

Sitz bath - I used it twice. It didn’t add any value to me to be honest but many swear by it

A memory foam mattress protector £80. As I sleep on my side, this was and remains invaluable. The best purchase after the Limbo sleeve

Sanitary pads. Yep, that was a new one for me to get used to. Attached to my boxer shorts which gave total peace of mind and helped maintain hygiene

Diet - eat healthily as you can as towards the end of treatment your diet will need to be very beige for a few weeks. Low in fibre ie white rice, pasta and bread but Google what you can eat and plan your meals accordingly. At the time of writing I’m slowly re introducing fibre.

So that’s it I guess for now. My last day of treatment was on the first day of meteorological Spring (20/3)., a time of growth and rejuvenation. I feel strong and positive about the future and you will too.

Oh and use the Macmillan online community to gather as much information and support as you can. Everyone’s journey is different but being informed of others stories from the outset, helped me immensely

Next diary date is 8 May (7 weeks post

treatment with my oncologist). Wish me luck!

• Thank you so much  for this account of your journey so far, posts like this are invaluable to those just starting out on this bumpy road! It’s already been said but I’ll repeat also that it’s great to hear from a male perspective too as there will be others out there that will have joined the forum but prefer not to post & reading your account will help immensely. May your recovery process be smooth & swift & sending positive thoughts your way for your appointment on the  8th of May. 

Nicola 

• Hi David I can relate to the affect it can have on your loved one who is trying to stay strong for you. My husband lost his first wife after 35 years of marriage to breast cancer that returned after ten years. When I was diagnosed with anal cancer I felt so guilty that he would have to go through it again. In some ways this is why I found this site so beneficial to offload my worries as I was concerned that I would burden him with questions I knew he couldn’t possibly answer. For those having to go through it alone must be tough and great they have us for support. Continue being positive 

Julie

• Hi Yancy

As feather has said the dilators are given usually a few weeks after you have had treatment. Well they did at my hospital. I only knew about them from this site and actually bought some silicone ones online. I read that some found the hard pink nhs ones uncomfortable. The silicone set started with basically a finger sized dilator which I used with  YES lubricant and took my time twice a week religiously. I did have quite a lot of vaginal inflammation due to treatment which may have been the result of where the tumour lay. Gradually I reached the largest dilator and found a nice warm bath before using them made for everything being relaxed. I eventually moved onto the NHS dilators which tend to be longer than the silicone ones. Time and patience is the key I think and after a gynaecologist visit a few weeks ago he was pretty impressed with the vaginal skin which he said had hardly any scar tissue there. Hope this information helps put your mind at rest

Julie

• Hi  ,

As Julie has said regarding your oncologist appointment & discussions around treatment etc., try & keep in the back of your mind it’s part of their job to cover every eventuality, including worse case scenario, the likelihood is that you’ll feel totally overwhelmed following the appointment but remember the many of us here that are through the other side living a cancer free life again. I remember reading the possible side effects of the treatment & thinking I really do not want to do this but in reality I suffered probably 4 weeks of varying levels of discomfort & then I recovered pretty quickly & to say it was worth it to be cancer free is an understatement. Remember we’ve a mine of hints & tips here between us that we’ve learned along the way on our own journeys so please make good use of us & we’ll help however we can even if it’s just to offer a sympathetic ear. Wishing you the best of luck with your appointment next week. 

Nicola 

• Thanks Nicola. Good to hear from you. 
    It’s been quite a cathartic experience writing this all down. You forget the immense journey you’ve been on, even everything that you went through pre treatment. 
    I had almost 200 hrs of chemo thru those two weeks., 28 daily radiotherapy treatments and that PICC line attached for over a month. You CAN get through it. That’s the key takeaway for me and I hope my account really helps others. David 

• Thank you so much for sharing your story, it's really helpful to read.  I start my chemoradiotherapy a week today, PICC line going in this Friday.  I've already bought the Limbo following your recommendation.

Like many others, it feels like a very scary time not knowing how your body is going to react to the treatment but reading other people's experiences does help a little, especially such positive ones like yours.

• Thanks for the feedback Georgie. It touches my heart that my story is helping someone else. I wish you the very best on your own journey. Get someone to help you fit the limbo sleep so you don’t knock the PICC line and make sure both ends are sealed to your skin to stop any water getting in. It really proved invaluable but don’t use it in a bath., just the shower.

Like me, you’ve read up on lots of things which really helps. You will be told there might be numerous side effects. Remember, when you read the potential side effects of taking a paracetamol tablet, they list everything. You may have some side effects, you may have none. Everyone is different.

I absolutely wish you the very best. David x

• Hi, Thanks for this really useful inspirational information of your journey, that has really helped me think of how best to prepare, can I ask with the sunburning during /after the radiotherapy, is it worth applying cream/ointment prior to commencing and if so, what was recommended to you. Your dietary information was really useful too. So glad that you are feeling strong and positive, keep well and thank you for your story it has helped a lot. 

• Hello Gill. Thank you for the feedback. I’d start from day 1. Apply it 2/3 times daily. I bought a large pump action E45 cream. In fact I bought 2 as they were on offer.

You can also buy Aveeno but that’s quite pricey. For showering etc buy the Simple range of products - no alcohol, no fragrances. Sanex zero shower gel was great for me

You’ll know where the treatment is being ‘aimed at’ by asking your oncology team ., you need to also think where does the radiotherapy beam come out if that makes sense and apply there too. Apply it everywhere around the pelvis area (with focus on the creases between leg and groin - Radiotherapy doesn’t like creased areas) but  apply it post treatment. They don’t usually like you to be all ‘greased up’ prior to treatment as it can act as a barrier.

When you see the skin starting to deteriorate - mine started to break down after about 3 weeks. It was very tender and sore but then slowly after a while the new skin grows back - speak to your team on your weekly chats. They know what will happen and give you Flaminal hydro (it has a blue cap) and Flaminal forte (yellow cap). The Forte is for the really sore areas. It is AMAZING stuff.

Sorry if it all sounds a little graphic.

As it will be sore, when showering, use a luse warm spray and either dab dry carefully or let the sores air dry, then slather the cream on and wear loose fitting cotton underwear.

Sorry If it’s more Info than you needed. I wished I’d known more about this myself as I started my journey. I hope it helps and wish you the very best.

You will get through it. I’m now 4 weeks post treatment and I feel SO much better., just take it a day at a time and have patience and be kind to yourself. Think of it as taking very small steps every day

David x

• Thanks so much, Julie!  Very informative.  As I’m 83 and single, perhaps I won’t need one.  Lol. What do you think?