Treatment choice?

• 7 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi all.

I'm just wondering if anyone was given a treatment choice at all please? I'm starting mitomycin,  then 5-fu delivered daily in the pump via picc line,  with daily radiotherapy.  I have said since day one that I really don't want the picc line fitted and after reading these threads would much rather have the chemo tablets rather than the pump. I'll be over 3 months since diagnosis so really don't want to cause a fuss or delay anything but do you think it would be possible to change what they have planned for me? I'm stage 3 with it spread to lymph nodes in pelvis and groin (& praying no where else while waiting) x

• Janita, that's a hard one.  I don't know why there is the variation in treatment at the various health authorities.  I believe the Capecitabine tablets work in the same way as the 5-fu given intravenously.  I had the tablets which I managed to swallow (they are huge) in spite of normally retching when I try to swallow the smallest tablet.  I imagine that the head of that particular department at the hospital you are attending prefers the intravenous method.  I wasn't on this forum when I started treatment so I had no idea there were different methods of delivering the drugs so didn't question the tablets at all.

That said, there is absolutely no reason why you can't ask.  The worst they can say is that they don't do it at that particular hospital.

The best of luck with this, please let us know how you get on.

Irene xx

• Hi Janita, I was giving the choice and chose the PICC line and would not have liked it any other way. I was told the side effects for the pills are harsher. And apart from having to constantly swallow huge pills, I did 7 weeks of treatment and not ONCE was I poked for blood or anything. For me, it made the treatment so much easier. A pain when showering but doable and I had to see a nurse once a week to clean it to avoid infection. 

• Hi  ,

Like Irene I’m not completely sure why different oncologists prefer the different treatment regimes. I was actually told the opposite to  by my oncologist, he told me that the oral chemo (capecitabine) are gentler on your system than the IV method, I had little to no side effects from the chemo tablets & had no issues in taking them either, they are on the large side as far as tablets are concerned but you have to take with plenty of water anyway. I believe Capecitabine is a cell division inhibitor which essentially stops the cancer cells from dividing & multiplying whilst the radiotherapy does its thing, as far as I understand 5-fu does the same thing. 

I agree with Irene that maybe you should ask your oncologist the question & see what he/she comes back with. 

Let us know if you speak with your oncologist about this, I’d be interested to know what they say. 

Nicola 

• I wasn't offered a choice in anything! I had a port installed in my chest (is that the same as a PICC line?) and although it was a pain due to all the Covid protocols, I was so glad to have it. I had to use the handheld in the shower to keep it dry while it was hooked up to the chemo pump, but it wasn't bad, and so nice to have all blood draws etc so easy. 

It sure can't hurt to ask your cancer team if you have options, and why this particular one was chosen! I haven't bucked my team in any way except for the anoscopies (which I don't think you guys get in England) but I think it's important to at least voice our concerns and preferences. 

Holding you in my heart as you go forward.

Suz

• Hi ladies,  thanks so much to you all for getting back to me. I rang the secretary this morning and then someone called me back. Unfortunately,  im still down for the picc line and intravenous, she just said that its the hospital protocol so there isn't choice available x x

• Probably not the answer you wanted  but at least you have an answer I suppose. I’ve no idea why different hospitals follow different protocols. I was treated at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle & as far as I’m aware both of the oncologists there that treat anal cancer use the oral chemo regime. I hope you’re ok. 

Nicola 

• Yes thank you , a little disappointed but need to be grateful for any treatment really xx