Ongoing pain before treatment & protruding mass

• 35 replies
  • 40 subscribers

Hi All, I'm 2 months post surgery where I had extremely painful external lumps removed and that's when the internal mass was discovered. I now know this is anal cancer but not a lot else until I speak with oncologist next week.

I appreciate we all have different situations with the anal cancer but just wondered how common it is to have ongoing pain prior to treatment.  Prior to surgery I was in excruciating constant pain, that had built up over 6 moths.  I'd also started to have nerve pain radiating into my left leg - which doctors kept saying was a separate sciatic issue, despite me explaining it was all stemming from same place e.g. the external lump / area between my legs.  The surgeon says the internal mass is pinching the sphincter and that's what's likely to be causing the pain.  So I still have this nerve pain, and pain by anus getting worse past couple of weeks.  Nurses made me chuckle as they said perhaps you need something stronger than paracetamol so I explained I'm already on amitriptyline, nefopam and morphine (latter I take only at night when it's niggling so much I can't sleep). I'm not someone who likes to take tablets but it's the only way I can function at moment. 

With treatment ahead in mind, I'm wondering if this particular pain will get worse or should get better (I can see that seems like a silly question!). I was hoping I'd be back to my normal exercise levels & read of others exercising during treatment, but I can still only manage slow short walks. Somewhat frustrating but I guess until the mass reduces the pain won't reside. I suppose I'm wondering if anyone else has had this how long it took before they didn't feel the internal pain? 

Since surgery I've also had a protruding external mass I feel on passing a bowel movement.  I didn't have this before the camera investigation and biopsy so I was petrified when I first felt this.  It's definitely not a hemorrhoid, I'm starting to wonder if it's the cancer - I will bring this up when speak to oncologist.  Has anyone else had this? If so, did this alter after treatment & disappear? My only other thought is, it's potentially a rectal prolapse.

Any advice / sharing of circumstances much appreciated x

• I think you have replied to me instead of Em44 whose friend had ovarian cancer.  Don't worry about it.! x

• The nurse in the bowel clinic taught me that over time too much laxido has the opposite effect. I have had serious troubles. It takes months for a bowel to rebalance itself.

• Hi Simon, thanks for telling me this. What did you use instead please?

• I was desperate so had no choice but to follow the advice. I had to reduce painkillers to bare mins. I have one laxido at night. Just one a day. No tea or coffee. Lemon tea in morning. No other med laxatives.

I now take gabapentin which has no I'll side effects..And it takes time to rebalance.

I should explain I did not need painkillers for my kidney op. I had pre existing co morbidities. But constipation is the same.

• Hi Emma.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your pain! Although I've not had anal cancer, I've been a patient advocate for someone with advanced anal cancer P-16 negative and would like to share some ideas with you and the community. (Please seek your doctor's counsel as I'm not a medical professional)

"Diverting Colostomy" is a temporary bowel diversion that can be done laparoscopically where the bowels empty into a secure bag that is attached to your large colon. It is a reversible procedure that can be implemented once your backside heals. The diverting colostomy procedure is a big game-changer for people with anal and colon cancer!

"Ganglion Impar Block" is an unconventional way to treat anal cancer pain so you rely less on sedating opioids! An anesthesiologist administers anesthesia that can block pain anywhere from 1 week to many months, depending on the individual. Think of it as a "long-lasting epidural! to your anus and buttocks area. Your anesthesiologist may have to shoot an additional area to fine-tune the overall coverage. This procedure helped my patient tremendously.