HELP

• 3 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Just received my summary diagnosis letter from the hospital and it’s says my diagnosis is T2 N2 M0 squamous cell carcinoma what does this mean ? Is it stage 2 or 3 and has it gone to lymph nodes? PlFlushedse help I’m panicking here Flushed

• Hi   squamous cell carcinoma is the most common type of anal cancer. It is effectively a skin cancer which starts in the cells lining the anal canal. The staging is described using 'TNM'.   T (tumour)  describes the size and location of the tumour.  N (nodes) - describes whether the cancer has spread to the lymph node and M (metastases)  describes whether the cancer has spread (metastasised to other parts of the body).  T2 means the tumour is between 2-5cm. N2 means one or more lymph nodes in the groin (inguinal nodes) or pelvis (pelvic nodes) on one side of the body contain cancer. M0 means the cancer has not spread to other parts of the body.   I have taken this information from the Macmillan booklet I was given in 2019. To the best of my knowledge the TNM system has not changed since then. 

The affected lymph node/s will also be included in the field of radiation. We have had many in the group whose cancer has been in one or more lymph nodes and have been successfully treated. 

In relation to your query about staging, your treating team should be able to confirm this with you. It's not really a good idea to send you this letter without an explanation which you receive on a Saturday when no one is available at the hospital for you to speak to! 

There is always the Macmillan helpline which will be able to help you- it's open 8am-8pm 7 days a week and  it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00  

I do hope that you have friends or family you can discuss this with.  Please always come on here for advice and support. There will always someone around to help. Bev x

• Hi ,

Firstly welcome to the Macmillan online community although I’m so sorry that you’ve had the need to find us.

Bev has given you an explanation of the staging in the letter you’ve received although I completely agree that a conversation/explanation  should have been had by your treating team before this letter ever had a chance of reaching you. 

Please don’t sit panicking all weekend as Bev has said you can give the Macmillan helpline a ring & speak to someone that will truly understand your worries. We’re always here to offer support also, there’s members here from newly diagnosed to those going through treatment & also those of us through the other side & back living our lives. You are at the most frightening stage of all of this, you’ve received this news with little idea of what the future holds but the treatment for this kind of cancer is very effective & there are many of us here that are testament to this. 

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions here or just post if you feel the need to share your concerns or your journey there’s usually someone around that will respond pretty quickly. 

Nicola 

• Thanks both of you so much my mind has been put to rest reading this and I understand it more now x